Pipemania

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Darkon

Pipemania

Post by Darkon »

inspired by a puzzle game i played years ago, which i cant remember the name of, and quite frankly, i didnt even like

i made this minigame, which plays alot different from it, which is good, anyhow, id really like to see other peoples pipe puzzles too using these elements so please e-mail me them, oh, and make sure they are actually possible to complete

http://www.zomis.net/rnd/info.php?f=341
bojster

Post by bojster »

Very interesting concept indeed. Unfortunately, I find it quite unhandy to play it with Rockford (or whatever the name of the yellow capped guy is). I definitely prefer the original.Might be a nice idea to make pipe mini-puzzles part of some bigger CE levels, though.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Looks cool! I'm ever surprised by seeing new CE levels. Will it be included in the next contributions or do I have it manually?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Alan

Post by Alan »

good one Darkon!

This works very similar to something I'm doing at the moment.
In fact, looking closely this works exactly like my game.... oh hell.

(better say something now in case you think I have ripped you off!)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

no problems there alan, i didnt intend to make any more than 1 level for it, i just like to experiment with the CE's basically to see what can, and cant be done

and for starters, i know for a fact yours will have sparkly cool graphics compaired to mine :-p
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Well Darkon, although I really like new techniques, I "only" voted your file with 7 (of 10) on the archive. The water or whatever it is comes pretty fast, so the pause function is a good friend then.
I agree with Bojster that the game is quite unhandy to play with Rockford, and there was a lot of CEs in it (although that's not totally bad, it could be hard to reduce CE counts sometimes - just look at Alan's defender, he uses nearly all 256 CEs), but oh well...
It really reminds me of the windowsgame "Pipe", not exactly like it but a bit close. I think it would be possible to make such levels too with a little technique.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

But how would you like to play it then? Is it possible to control the pipes themselves?

Alan

Post by Alan »

>and for starters, i know for a fact yours will have sparkly cool graphics compaired to mine

thanks, there not very sparkly at the moment... ;-)

>Alan's defender, he uses nearly all 256 CEs

Wrong! , it uses about 100. I blanked everything out, also there's large gaps of empty CEs between elements, so if you looked at them randomly it would appear I use them all ;-)

>But how would you like to play it then? Is it possible to control the pipes themselves?

I once made the Rockford graphic into a mouse cursor, then I made dummy walls that you could walk over, if felt like you where in the editor but in the game :? If you could change what's under you, it would work nice for pipemania.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:>Alan's defender, he uses nearly all 256 CEs

Wrong! , it uses about 100. I blanked everything out, also there's large gaps of empty CEs between elements, so if you looked at them randomly it would appear I use them all ;-)

>But how would you like to play it then? Is it possible to control the pipes themselves?

I once made the Rockford graphic into a mouse cursor, then I made dummy walls that you could walk over, if felt like you where in the editor but in the game :? If you could change what's under you, it would work nice for pipemania.
Well, I didn't looked randomly on them, I checked the level in RNDTool, and I saw that all CE numbers where in the CE list, and I checked some of them through and saw that most of them used other elements or was used by other elements. So I came to the conclusion that nearly all was used.
Plus, if you search for "CUS4" in the .level file, you will find 256 matches, which means that 256 CEs has been saved. So I thought that nearly all was used.

And well, yes it's possible to control what's under you, it won't be exactly like Pipemania but more like the Pipe game in windows, with a few disadvantages though. I won't start working on it yet, but within a couple of weeks. At least now I have an idea for it.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Where can I find RNDtools? can't find it in the archive! is it a program to change graphicsinfo.conf/soundinfo.conf/musicinfo.conf files in a quick manner?

Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Martijn wrote:Where can I find RNDtools? can't find it in the archive!
1. It's RNDTool
2. It's listed as one of my files on the archive
3. There is a search function on the archive, search for "rndtool" and you'll find it.
4. It's here

I haven't started with the next version of it, I don't know if there will be one; but we'll see. At least I haven't enough time for it currently.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

hmm, strange why I couldn't find it... but the program looks promising! Will have a close look later.

Martijn

Post by Martijn »

is there a tape of pipemania? I directed the pipe to the exit but nothing works.

Darkon

Post by Darkon »

there should be tapes with it, or at least i "think" there should be

and your supposed to direct the pipe to the end pipe, not the exit :-p

(the pipe that is only 1 way)
RAP

Post by RAP »

A intresting ce-mini game with nice graphics and the water floods too.

I think it was solveable level with conneting pieces on the pipe.

And the exit and rockford? Well Rockford is our player, but i guess rockford is useful anyway.

And the exit will be useful as well in some mini games.

Graphics:
5.5 - 10.0

Gameplay
6.8 - 10.0

Real Rating:
6.5 - 10.0

Nice Game. :) But i wish there are more Pipeline levels that were made.