Random element placement restriction can act a bit scummy

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Random element placement restriction can act a bit scummy

Post by Eizzoux »

sdasdadadd.png
sdasdadadd.png (6.42 KiB) Viewed 5158 times

Honestly, a while ago I got problem that pretty much broke one of my levels (that was, like, in 2012-13 or like that), and since then I was avoiding that feature for pretty much decade at this point.

Just today I decided to try it just for testing (and out of curiosity) and... And it didn't break the level, nor didn't even really touch it in any ways. Instead it replaced all of the empty space (both in palette and playfield) with a custom element 6 of all things, and that was after I just placed steel wall into the random placement restriction target slot and turned the function on. That was quite strange indeed, so I reloaded the entire game.

I tried doing the same thing again, and this time it got even stranger, because it now instead replaced all empty spaces with an "unknown" element, but not that one that looks like a question mark character, instead it uses normal wall sprite and has the element token [(null)].
I tried playtesting the level this time, and that (null) element actually behaves like invisible sand (at least I assume so because it looks like empty space but when moving around makes digging sound), but then the game just froze, forcing me to hard close the game. Of course, no output in the 'rocksndiamonds.log'.

I tried getting that glitch third time, but couldn't do it anymore, until I just started aimlessly fiddling with that feature and started placing random elements in the slot and repeatedly turning it on and off. This time I decided to place some other physical elements just so I could test out if these (null) elements really behave like sand, but once I started testing the level, the game just froze before even starting the level.
Well, at least I have this screenshot of the (null) element as a sort of proof.

gdjfsdfdfj.png
gdjfsdfdfj.png (40.63 KiB) Viewed 5158 times

𒈟