[MM] Multiple Mcduffins...

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

[MM] Multiple Mcduffins...

Post by Eizzoux »

I haven't pointed out that before, but, possibly, someone did already, not sure, although not sure, if it should have been addressed in the first place.
Anyways, Mirror Magic, if not even since the Mindbender times, has always had such issue, when you place multiple McDuffins, and only the one closest to bottom right corner shoots the laser, while others are inactive, but are still clickable. Clicking on others, despite them being inactive, still result on rotating the beam outside of actual beam owner.
sgfsbdkauf.png
sgfsbdkauf.png (13.07 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
What's also interesting, older versions like 2.0.1 despite still having such issue, at least draws only one McDuffin among the entire playfield with draw single tool, much like with all four players of R'n'D nowadays. But the issue there is still the same.
kuebgdklsbfkdsbf.png
kuebgdklsbfkdsbf.png (25.96 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
If that will be ever planned to fix, I guess there would be at least two ways:
  1. Prevent clicking inactive McDuffins from rotating the beam, so it would only rotate if the owner of it is clicked while the clones would be rotatable as well, but would not affect the rotation of the beam itself,
  2. Perhaps just overall disable functionality of the clones and leave them completely non-rotatable.
Oh, and, by the way, it also affects DF laser if it's the beam owner, which means, you can rotate DF laser, but through such a weird 'illegal' way.
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: [MM] Multiple Mcduffins...

Post by Holger »

Yes, that's right... I always thought about this as a no-issue, thinking that people will take care of this when creating a new level. :-D

But if people do this anyway, I agree that it should be handled better. (I think you're right that this problem existed in all versions since the very first Amiga version -- but I think Chris Scholz already handled this better in the ST and DOS port, where he made sure that exactly one McDuffin was set onto the playfield!)

And yes, I should handle this somehow similar to the R'n'D engine, where only one player can be set onto the playfield.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Fixed now by handling this similar to the R'n'D players.

However, you still can trick it by using the "brush" draw mode, copying and pasting McDuffin (or the R'n'D players) to add multiple players, which will not be checked when saving the level. But it should also be handled better by the game engine now.
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Holger wrote: You still can trick it by using the "brush" draw mode, copying and pasting McDuffin (or the R'n'D players) to add multiple players, which will not be checked when saving the level.
Yeah, this one isn't that much of a problem, or even if it is, it is shared both for players and McDuffin. The only real way I'd imagine you could avoid that is if you force the game to not draw anything with any tool other than single item if player/McDuffin is selected, sorta like how Cave Chaos 3 handles that, but I don't think it needed that much.
Holger wrote: ...it should also be handled better by the game engine now.
Indeed it is! As I already mentioned in one of the other topics, only the beam owner now redirects it, while all other McDuffins rotate by their own and do not affect the main one. I also tried with the beam owner being Laser Emitter and the game also acknowledges it as intended.
𒈟