Losing it

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Losing it

Post by Eizzoux »

There's just a few things I'd address in terms of losing, at least in MM.
First, MM engine aknowledges the 'game.winning' sound, when you, obviously, win, but in terms of losing, there isn't any sound other than McDuffin exploding, because 'game.losing' isn't associated with losing in MM. I guess it's kind of reasonable since MM didn't have it in the first place, and importing it into R'n'D engine would lead into default 'game.losing' laughter play in MM engine, so at least other way would be adding a unique sound for losing in MM like 'game.no_more_energy'?
Second, I have pointed this one out a while ago, but R'n'D kinda doesn't have the 'game.losing' sound too. Well, it technically does, but it plays only for a fraction of a second (just try it with player's exploding and dying sounds disabled), because it's loop mode is ON by default (adding 'game.losing.mode_loop: false' actually fixes that).
Third, when failing both with McDuffin and DF Laser, the game displays the same message with request on game over turned ON. Not really sure, but perhaps there could be different messages for them? It just seems out of place when McDuffin's spell is hit in Deflektor levelset.
𒈟
Eizzoux

Losing it

Post by Eizzoux »

Also, yeah, sorry for suggestive topic title, oops.
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Losing it

Post by Holger »

Hi, no problem with the topic title! :D

Just did not have enough time to check those issues so far, but I definitely will do!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

OK, finally was able to have a look at all this, and it was well worth it!
because 'game.losing' isn't associated with losing in MM
I have reworked that whole part to be a bit more generic, that is, have it work not only with the R'n'D game engine, but also with all other game engines, too. So you can now define the following sounds for all game engines:

game.starting
game.winning
game.losing

The first two should have worked before, but "game.losing" now finally also works for all game engines, too.
Second, I have pointed this one out a while ago, but R'n'D kinda doesn't have the 'game.losing' sound too. Well, it technically does, but it plays only for a fraction of a second (just try it with player's exploding and dying sounds disabled), because it's loop mode is ON by default (adding 'game.losing.mode_loop: false' actually fixes that).
I stumpled upon this some time (or a long time?) ago, too, but never really checked what's going on there. Until now.

I fact, this is a bug that was introduced in R'n'D 3.0.0 in the year 2003 (it still worked before in version 2.1.1). :shock:

So the once notoric "evil laughter" when the player dies wasn't (fully) played anymore since about 20 years! :o

I have fixed it all, so that it finally is played again (regardless of loop mode), but then I decided to deactivate it (set it to undefined by default), because there are quite some level sets with custom artwork created in the last 20 years that did not expect this sound to be played (and that did not undefine or redefine it), so fixing this very old bug would add this sound effect to level sets where it would probably not be intended to be played by the level set's authors. Then, there was only the R'n'D game engine in 2003, where that sound effect was played until then, but not the Emerald Mine, Supaplex or Mirror Magic game engines, which all do not have such a sound effect in their original game versions.

Nevertheless, you could still define that sound effect for new levels in any game engine now (and the "laughter" sound effect is still contained in the game package, so no additional sound file is required to re-activate the original sound effect).
Third, when failing both with McDuffin and DF Laser, the game displays the same message with request on game over turned ON. Not really sure, but perhaps there could be different messages for them? It just seems out of place when McDuffin's spell is hit in Deflektor levelset.
That's right! I have changed the message texts for all three cases (bomb, overloaded and out of energy) for Deflektor style levels (that is, when there is a laser emitter instead of a magician used in the level). :-)
Eizzoux

[4.3.5.2] Losing sound...

Post by Eizzoux »

Losing sound actually plays now... Well, with Ask on Game Over anyways. With it turned off, it's not playing. Is that intentional?
I you want, you can check on latest Reflektor demo I released back in March 5th 4th, it has the losing sound already primarily defined in there.
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Losing sound actually plays now... Well, with Ask on Game Over anyways. With it turned off, it's not playing. Is that intentional?
No, it definitely isn't! :shock:

But you're right -- haven't even tried it, but just had a quick look into the code and immediately saw the problem. :|

Will be fixed soon!
I you want, you can check on latest Reflektor demo I released back in March 5th 4th, it has the losing sound already primarily defined in there.
Yes, I have seen that, and indeed I have used it for testing! But only with "Ask on Game Over" enabled... :roll:
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Should all be fixed now! :)