Special idea

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Special idea

Post by Eizzoux »

All that time we've been offering Holger lots of ideas and everything, but how about this: What does Holger want to add to the game? The idea is what would Holger like to add to new updates? Maybe some kind of new game elements imported from other games, or some more original objects? How about dedicating one update purely about Holger's own ideas?
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Special idea

Post by Holger »

Thanks for that post! :-D

But don't worry, as some of you already know, I'm usually quite "selfish" when it comes to adding features I like and not adding those I don't. ;-)

What I indeed like to do most of the time is taking your ideas (that is, not only yours, Eizzoux, but from anyone here in the forum), check if they seem to be promising and would add value to R'n'D, and then try to think of the most generic way (that still makes sense) to implement it, so that it could hopefully be used for as much purpose as possible. (The global animations are such a thing, which I tried to keep as generic as possible, so that they could hopefully be used for much more things than initially intended.)

Here are some ideas which I would like to add to R'n'D (but which would probably require more than just one update).

One thing I really would like to add for ages (that is, decades) is a native Boulder Dash game engine. This is a quite big project that I still haven't even started, but that I consider "required" for R'n'D.

Another idea is an extension to let global animations interact better with the rest of the game, especially the game engine. That is, custom elements could trigger global animations, and global animations could trigger custom elements. This could also be extended with global animations that would be started at a certain (custom element related) playfield position. For example, such an extension could be used to display a large explosion animation that overlays a certain (exploding) element on the playfield, without being part of the game engine, but being a purely decorative graphic or animation.

While I cannot see when I would have time and/or motivation to finally start developing the native BD engine, the second idea could come to life much earlier, and I think that it could be implemented without too much work. :)

So that's what I first think about when asked about my own ideas for future R'n'D versions. I probably have forgotten some other things, which I then might add later. :-)

Update: Ah, yes, sure: What I would also like to work on is a tighter integration of the API server (which is just the high score server for now) into R'n'D, namely adding the possibility to download (and play) level sets and levels directly from the server, without having to worry how on earth a level package could be added to the game (which is quite easy for Linux, Windows and Mac since I added the zip file drag-and-drop support, but way more tricky for most people when using the Android version, and completely impossible at the moment when using the browser version of the game).
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Holger wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:59 am What I would also like to work on is a tighter integration of the API server (which is just the high score server for now) into R'n'D, namely adding the possibility to download (and play) level sets and levels directly from the server, without having to worry how on earth a level package could be added to the game (which is quite easy for Linux, Windows and Mac since I added the zip file drag-and-drop support, but way more tricky for most people when using the Android version, and completely impossible at the moment when using the browser version of the game).
If that will ever be a thing in the future, will it also be relevant for the standalone custom artworks?
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

If that will ever be a thing in the future, will it also be relevant for the standalone custom artworks?
Do you mean custom artwork without a level set, that can be used to replace the standard artwork by using the custom artwork setup settings? Yes, I think this should be supported, too. So you could then browse the level sets and see both locally installed and remotely (that is, on the API server)) available level sets, and could also browse the custom artworks and see both locally installed and remotely available custom artwork sets.