Diamond Caves 3 Emerald Caves Demo 1 - House of Ruby

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Arno

Diamond Caves 3 Emerald Caves Demo 1 - House of Ruby

Post by Arno »

I recently started to remake Diamond Caves 3 official levels on Rocks'n'Diamonds - It requires a lot of hard work!

For now, I'll keep you busy with the first demo level of Emerald Caves - House of Ruby!

Do you think you can beat the final level of Emerald Caves? If yes, then the rest of the level should be a piece of cake for you. In this level you'll see:
Ruby - Diamond Caves's exclusive gem - it's worth 2 emeralds.
Wall (Ruby) - It contains a ruby inside. Blast with bombs, or use a hammer to get the ruby.
Hammer - Collect it and snap walls and chests to break through.
Chest - You need a hammer to break the chest.
Tube - Now you can see yourself inside tubes!
Mine (Explodes on contact) - Explodes and kills a creature (The player is no exception). Can explode too, if smashed by a rock.
Teleporter (Red) - Teleports the player into the second teleporter. If you press the teleporter for a tiny moment, you'll die!
Level Wrapping - Allows you to travel between level borders. This is the only non-versatile addition though.

Feel free to use those new elements in your level sets as well. Good luck with the level and stay tuned! :mrgreen:
(Soon, you'll see some big booms...)
Attachments
house_of_ruby.zip
(7.25 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
Eizzoux

Re: Diamond Caves 3 Emerald Caves Demo 1 - House of Ruby

Post by Eizzoux »

Pretty neat one. Although, I had some problems with teleporting. In some cases it's understandable - you're teleporting into a solid object you technically can't go through, so that's why it kills you. But when I reached the red teleporter... and I explode after entering it... Alright, I tried from another angle and... it teleported me this time. Another time from old angle and... it also works. What's going on?
Also, one more thing, I feel like the teleport right into a bomb... is not exactly a good idea. It's cheap and unavoidable unless you first went to the bottom and checked. I'm guessing you were with small game graphics or like that, so... That might be the reason.
The sprite work also seems pretty good, but kind a bit strange in some parts. Like, the mine sprite is genuinely pretty good, but the shading for the outer gray part feels a bit too strange, I think rather the lighter part of it could be darkened or the darker part could be a bit brighten up. Here's my example on how it could look like.
dc3_thing_big.png
dc3_thing_big.png (732 Bytes) Viewed 3571 times

Maaaybe that's just me nitpicking, for what I'm sorry in advance.
But yeah, for the most part it's pretty neat!

Oh, and yet another thing, you didn't really have to store all classic artwork in your graphics\, music\ and sounds\ folders. They're used by the game by default and your custom graphics will just override the classic ones specifically for your levelset. And the game music, well, didn't exactly have to be "mod.music", the game accepts any names as long as they don't any unacceptable symbols (like #, for example).
𒈟