Other after tape playback issues.

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

BryanFRitt

Other after tape playback issues.

Post by BryanFRitt »

[ tested with NIKO BOHM'S TUTORIAL, CLASSIC GRAPHICS ]

Start a game and do some moves. Quick save the tape. Playback the tape ( []STOP, |>PLAY ), ||UNPAUSE if need be. Afterwards the tape time will not change, in a since it says stopped recording*. Game time still works.

From here, play a bit, do a quick save. Playback of the tape ( []Stop, |>Play ) goes to up to old save point instead of up to newest savepoint, while quick restore goes to new. Both should go to new.

Doing a quick restore from here says it started back the recording. What happened with the recording in-between?

Play some more, Do a quick save again. See what happens. ( []Stop, |>Play ) goes to old save + something?

* Is there any reason not to set it to continue recording from this point? I could imagine why to not save the recording, but not why not recording. It should continue the recording from here. (end of tape, or where user pressed ||PAUSE and the proceeded to play the game.) This change would get rid of the need for the record light, since it should always be recording, there is the prompt to save the recording at end of level, there could also be a prompt to save when exiting a level. (some might like to to without prompt save, others prompt to save, and others without prompt don't save.)

Shouldn't []STOP go back to the beginning, instead of stop recording? []STOP should replaced with a []>PLAYBLACK_FROM_TAPE_START.

EDIT1: Possibly related to this bug
Tape Clock Times After Restore Issues
viewtopic.php?p=17644

EDIT2: see also
Saving/loading with F1/F2 may result in broken tapes
viewtopic.php?t=2495

EDIT3: There also seems to be an off by fraction of (a) move(s) at times during the ( []STOP, |>PLAY ) and/or quick restore, ?related to previous playbacks?
Start a level, quick save it right away. Try either a quick restore, and/or playback restore, will result in the player going to, or being at another square besides the starting square.

EDIT4: After finishing a level and choosing to save tape and before restarting R'n'D, quick restore still goes to previous quicksave point instead of to end of level. NOTE: As it is can be a nice feature to keep as optional, like when you finish a level and want that saved, but want to go back and try something else from a point.

EDIT5: ( []Stop, |>Play ) from an older version tape doesn't allow continuing playback from it. Happens with Emerald Mine Club > Bug Mine 2, and probably others. [is this good thing on purpose due to some other error that would occur?]

EDIT6: This could have gone in here too
Pause sometimes doesn't unpause when a button is pressed
viewtopic.php?t=3366
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
BryanFRitt

Re: Other after tape playback issues.

Post by BryanFRitt »

BryanFRitt wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:49 pm EDIT3: There also seems to be an off by fraction of (a) move(s) at times during the ( []STOP, |>PLAY ) and/or quick restore, ?related to previous playbacks?
Start a level, quick save it right away. Try either a quick restore, and/or playback restore, will result in the player going to, or being at another square besides the starting square.
You can't get a simpler save / playback than this.
Start a level, don't do anything with the character, do quick save, ...
Restore via quick restore -> player is moving to the right, instead of stationary at the beginning of level
Restore via []|> play back restore -> player goes to the square to the right (same as above but not paused, so goes to next square.)
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

BryanFRitt wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:49 pm EDIT5: ( []Stop, |>Play ) from an older version tape doesn't allow continuing playback from it. Happens with Emerald Mine Club > Bug Mine 2, and probably others. [is this good thing on purpose due to some other error that would occur?]
Instead of "from an older version tape doesn't allow continuing playback from it.", I probably should have said "can't get the character to do anything, and won't move, etc...", I can still ||pause/un-pause at least.
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

BryanFRitt wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:49 pm EDIT4: After finishing a level and choosing to save tape and before restarting R'n'D, quick restore still goes to previous quicksave point instead of to end of level. NOTE: As it is can be a nice feature to keep as optional, like when you finish a level and want that saved, but want to go back and try something else from a point.
Bug used as a feature. :)
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Should I have separated these out into separate bug reports?
Anyway, well I moved EDITS 3, 4, and 5 out. Each has it's own bug report now.

Simple tape restore problem
viewtopic.php?t=3373

Quick restore doesn't go to finishing save point
viewtopic.php?t=3375

Can't move player after restoring from some tapes
viewtopic.php?p=17963

EDIT7: lol... Well I was going to delete those extra posts, etc... from this thread, but I guess I can't now. :oops: