Game playback should pause when it's finished.

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

BryanFRitt

Game playback should pause when it's finished.

Post by BryanFRitt »

When a game is being played back to it's end, or restored via quick restore, it should start in a paused state*, irregardless of rather game was paused when state was saved, if 'MAIN MENU > SETUP > GAME & MENU > START GAME IN PAUSE MODE' is 'ON'.

*and in ready to record ready state.
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Game playback should pause when it's finished.

Post by Holger »

Hm, if I restore a game using quick load, it _always_ is in paused state, waiting for the player to continue (regardless of the current setting of the setup option "start game in pause mode").

Did I miss anything?
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

After doing a playback restore it never pauses, even if it was paused beforehand. ( []STOP |>PLAY ), Just mentioned quickload because it should also pause after restoring, which it does like it should, Sorry, this could have phrased better in a way that didn't imply that quick restore also had a problem.
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Thanks for the more detailed description, not I've got it! :)

Yes, after "stop" and "play" and waiting for the tape being fully replayed, the tape just stops, leaving the player to be able to continue moving, but without any chance to record these actions anymore. This is probably not the best way to handle this.

If the player is still alive after the tape stops replaying, it may be better to automatically change to "record/pause" mode (being able to continue recording that tape by unpausing, for example by pressing any of the direction keys or buttons).

I've just noticed that replaying the tape at least goes to "replay/pause" mode when using "warp forward play" (so you are able to continue recording by pressing "record" and continue playing), but not when using "fast forward play" (or "normal play").

This should indeed be improved.