Custom artwork not working

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

jm28121977

Custom artwork not working

Post by jm28121977 »

Hi all

I've done something stupid with my R'n'D setup and was hoping someone could help me get things back to normal. I've somehow inadvertently made it so that every levelset I play uses the R'n'D engine with the R'n'D graphics, whereas before it used whatever graphics were included with each levelset. For example, Cosmos Mine should be all space stuff but it isn't using this custom artwork. I hope I've explained this clearly enough.

In Setup > Custom Artwork I've tried all three possibilities for Override Level Graphics (Yes, No and Auto) but none of them makes a difference. In the Custom Graphics option, I've tried Classic Graphics, Artwork for Certain Level Sets and Artwork Included in Level Sets, and even specifically set it to Cosmos Mine 1, but whatever I choose, it shows the same standard R'n'D graphics. I've made sure to click Save and Exit every time.

I blame one of my kids for messing around with my laptop but it could easily have been something I've done. Any help gratefully received.

Cheers
Jamie x
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Custom artwork not working

Post by Holger »

Hi Jamie, this sounds strange indeed, especially as you already did the right thing (setting "Override Level Graphics" to "no").

What you could try now:

- Have a look at the files "stdout.txt" and "stderr.txt" after running the program with those strange behavior.

This should show warnings and error messages if the program notices that something is gong wrong.

- Rename file "setup.conf" to something different (which is better than removing the file, to be able to recover it), which you can find in a folder like "Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds" on Windows or Mac (and "~/.rocksndiamonds/setup.conf" on Linux).

This would start the program with fresh default values, removing unexpected behavior due to having messed something up in the setup menu.

If nothing of the above helps in either fixing the problem or giving an indication of what's going wrong, please let me know.
filbo

Post by filbo »

If moving aside the current setup.conf fixes the problem ... don't delete it! Post a copy of the bad version here so the knowledgable (Holger) and the curious (me) can look at it and figure out why it was so problematic, and how to not be susceptible to whatever-it-is in the future...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

don't delete it! Post a copy of the bad version here
Very good point indeed (didn't think about this)!

I cannot really imagine how a broken setup config could cause such behavior, but if it does, this could help to find out why and how!
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Thanks for replying guys. Both stdout.txt and stderr.txt are empty. Renaming setup.conf to setup.dave didn't fix the problem - it just generated a new setup.conf and the issue persisted.

Having tried a much wider range of levelsets, I've noticed that most of them use the right artwork - some are Boulderdash-style graphics, some look like Emerald Mines on the Amiga, and some are R'n'D. It only seems to be Cosmos Mine that's not loading its space graphics, which is quite weird. Have I just deleted something from this folder? I've compared the contents of its graphics directory with that of a levelset whose custom graphics work (Into the Terrible Tunnels) and it looks the same: several title screens and a graphicsinfo.conf file.

If nothing springs to mind immediately, this probably isn't worth you guys wasting your time on as it's seemingly only affecting one levelset (to my knowledge).

J
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Hm... maybe there's indeed some file missing or broken in that level set. If you don't mind re-downloading this quite big level set package, it could be worth trying to replace it completely and see what happens.

In this case, just renaming the old set does not help (as R'n'D will find and add it anyway at startup), but you would have to move it somewhere out of the "Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds" folder and put the newly downloaded and extracted level collection folder at its place. I would be curious it that might fix it...
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Gut. Danke Holger.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Small correction to myself:
[...] you would have to move it somewhere out of the "Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds" folder and put the newly downloaded and extracted level collection folder at its place.
That folder I mentioned should be "Documents/Rocks’n’Diamonds/levels", of course -- sorry!