Ctrl + S and ask on save a level

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

mat

Ctrl + S and ask on save a level

Post by mat »

1. Ctrl + S as a shortcut for saving a level.
2. An option to disable a confirmation of changes in the level. It's a bit annoying to select "Yes" every time I want to save... (even with Enter key).
Eizzoux

Level saving shortcut

Post by Eizzoux »

1. Button shortcuts do exist in the game, including saving, check descriptions on bottom of the screen when hovering cursor over needed option. To be more specific, Saving is done through Shift + S instead of Ctrl + S.
dsdfvadsgvs.png
dsdfvadsgvs.png (17.17 KiB) Viewed 4834 times
About asking on level saving... I find kind of pointless, but.. Eh, I guess it can be a valuable option.
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Ctrl + S and ask on save a level

Post by Holger »

Saving is done through Shift + S instead of Ctrl + S.
Yes, but mat has a point here: People are so used to Ctrl+S for saving things that I should really change it to use that very common shortcut (or add it). (When I created this shortcut around 1995, Ctrl+S maybe wasn't that common, but nowadays it definitely is.)
About asking on level saving... I find kind of pointless, but.. Eh, I guess it can be a valuable option.
Question dialogs like these are a safety thing if clicks or shortcuts for saving a level were used by accident, as they can easily destroy hard work. But I generally like the idea of being able to disable them if they are bothering you. On the other hand, even if not asking before, I would find it nice to have some sort of confirmations at least afterwards, but using a standard R'n'D confirmation dialog would make disabling the question dialog pointless. So what's really missing is some sort of overlay confirmation text that automatically disappears by fading out after a few seconds...
mat

Post by mat »

Eizzoux wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:07 pm Saving is done through Shift + S instead of Ctrl + S.
Oops, I missed the description of the save button. Thanks for help, Eizzoux! I will try to be more careful next time :oops:
Holger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:27 pm Yes, but mat has a point here
Nice to hear that :D
Holger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:27 pm Question dialogs like these are a safety thing if clicks or shortcuts for saving a level were used by accident, as they can easily destroy hard work.
Yes, I know about it. Nevertheless there is always the undo button so you can use it to fix what you broke (at least partially).
Holger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:27 pm So what's really missing is some sort of overlay confirmation text that automatically disappears by fading out after a few seconds...
Fading out is a good idea. I would like to see that in the game.
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

mat wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:16 pm Yes, I know about it. Nevertheless there is always the undo button so you can use it to fix what you broke (at least partially).
One exception: if you changed configuration of elements, not the level, then you won't be able to undo with just a click of a button, you rather back it up or save the configuration as template. If you did your elements wrong and saved it without any backups, then, undo won't do a favor here. I remember someone also pointed that out here before as a problem of the game not remembering element config changes, but the undos are not just built around that
𒈟