Recovered parts of the RnD Files Archive!

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Recovered parts of the RnD Files Archive!

Post by Zomis »

Hi everyone,

Thanks to some poking and some effort by someone else at the forum, I managed to restore parts of the old RnD Files Archive. (See the attachments to this post)

Unfortunately, there are some files that I have not been able to find, but at least the metadata is there. More metadata (such as votes and categories) may be recovered later.

I'm not active in the Rocks'n'Diamonds community anymore but I have plenty of other projects that are more or less active. Maybe I will return one day with something new and fancy for R'n'D (a tool or a new level or something else), but it's unfortunately very unlikely.

It's nice to see that there are some new posts here at the forum and I hope these attachments will bring some more life into it.

As for a new Rocks'n'Diamonds Files Archive, I will probably not be the one to make it, but I hope someone else will. I had an idea at sometime about a program that can scan user's R'n'D folders to search for levels and levelsets and compare with what is globally known and give the options to upload/download parts of it, but that idea is just a bit too big for me to put any effort in it for now.

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious already: I'm still alive :)
Attachments
rnd-files-archive-400+.zip
(7.11 MiB) Downloaded 146 times
rnd-files-archive-0-399.zip
(7.2 MiB) Downloaded 137 times
filbo

Re: Recovered parts of the RnD Files Archive!

Post by filbo »

Your .sig here points to deceased www,zomis,net/rnd (which redirects to rnd,zomis,net which is not home)...

Thanks for uploading these. I'm stoked that my archive.org mining gave you enough metadata to find most of the files!

Since you've been active, Holger has integrated a global 'high score server' into the game, which stores tapes and has copies of most of the levels in existence. He's been working on things like allowing one to download levels from the server. I've actually also been pretty inactive with the game for some months, so I'm not sure if that feature is active yet. I assume that at some point this will evolve to a full 'Please Stand Back While We Download Every Level Ever Created' button in the game...

So ... good idea, but you'll have to come up with a different one if you want to advance the state of the art :)
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Recovered parts of the RnD Files Archive!

Post by Holger »

Hi Simon,

great to hear from you again after such a long time, and good to know that you are alive and kickin'! :D
Thanks to some poking and some effort by someone else at the forum, I managed to restore parts of the old RnD Files Archive. (See the attachments to this post)
Thanks a lot for your effort! That's a valuable resource for me, as there are many references to your old files archive in this forum, which now point to nowhere, unfortunately. Your partially restored archive will make it possible to find out to which level such a reference points to (for thosem parts that could be restored), which is great!
I'm not active in the Rocks'n'Diamonds community anymore but I have plenty of other projects that are more or less active.
Nevertheless, thanks a lot for the countless hours and dedication you once spent on R'n'D -- I highly appreciate this!

And I hope you have found other interesting projects to work on now -- don't hesitate to post a link if you have something interesting (just curios)! :D
As for a new Rocks'n'Diamonds Files Archive, I will probably not be the one to make it, but I hope someone else will.
At least it would now be possible to write a little tool that returns the content (mainly levels) for the restored files archive entries. Good to know that the data and metadata is there!
I had an idea at sometime about a program that can scan user's R'n'D folders to search for levels and levelsets and compare with what is globally known and give the options to upload/download parts of it, but that idea is just a bit too big for me to put any effort in it for now.
Maybe the new API server (which is currently used to store and provide high scores and score tapes) could do this one day!

Take care! :)