Multiplayer types

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

LotBlind

Multiplayer types

Post by LotBlind »

I'm trying to figure out which of these types of multiplayer the game has. Can someone confirm I have this right?

yes SHS (Simultaneous hotseat): 2 or more players play simultaneously on the same computer
no? TBHS (Turn-based hotseat): 2 or more players take turns to play on the same computer
yes Serial: 2-player game played via modem or null modem cable connection
no PBEM: play-by-email mode; typically with computer acting as moderator
yes IPX: multiple players can join a game via IPX protocol, e.g. LAN
yes TCP/IP: multiple players can join a game via TCP/IP protocol, e.g. the Internet
ncrecc

Re: Multiplayer types

Post by ncrecc »

turn-based hotseat would be something like super mario world i think, where you take turns playing each level... also play-by-email sounds a tad slow for rnd :p
filbo

Post by filbo »

LotBlind wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:15 pm yes IPX: multiple players can join a game via IPX protocol, e.g. LAN
yes TCP/IP: multiple players can join a game via TCP/IP protocol, e.g. the Internet
IPX is an old network protocol (used by Novell Netware, back in the day). While it would technically be possible for LAN games to use it today (though they might have to write their own IPX/SPX stack), I doubt there are any real-world examples.

Modern networks generally use TCP/IP (including UDP & ICMP) on all sorts of physical layers. wifi networks use TCP/IP. Wired LANs use TCP/IP. Things like DSL, cable, or fiber ISP connections use other protocols at lower layers, but almost everything you will ever interact with is TCP/IP routed over those layers.

I think the list of types you're looking at is also ancient. The site says copyright 1998-2021, but I don't see a timestamp on that particular page. I think already by 1998 it would have been unusual for a LAN game to choose IPX as its transport.

The logical distinction between 'games played across a local LAN' vs 'games played across the Internet' is valid. Just the terminology and implied associated technology is wrong...

e.g. my kids were really into 'Artemis' starship simulator for a while, playing it at conventions and LAN parties. I didn't see them try to play it across the Internet, and don't think it would have worked well. More recently they were really into multiuser Minecraft, e.g. Hypixel SkyBlock and stuff like that, which definitely does work across the Internet. (They established some good friendships playing in groups with members concurrently in California, Italy, Australia and Hong Kong...)

=====

RnD definitely has the 'IPX, but using TCP/IP' multiplayer game type. Don't know if it would be viable across Internet ping times. I don't think it has any serial / modem modes. If it can tolerate the ping times, I suppose it could be played across a modem line with PPP on top (routing TCP/IP between the ends). (A quick peek at the source shows 'serial' appearing only in the phrase 'serial number', and 'modem' only in 'InitGameModeMusicInfo' ! )
LotBlind

Post by LotBlind »

Okay, thanks for the information!