My platform/country/version doesn't show in the hall of fame

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

ncrecc

My platform/country/version doesn't show in the hall of fame

Post by ncrecc »

This is a record I just set, but the same problem applies for previous records of mine.
Everyone else's platform/country/version shows fine, it's just mine that doesn't. Is this just a local error? I would appreciate if someone could check (Level 2 of Niko Bohm's tutorial, 2nd place).
It should display Windows, 4.3.2.0, and United States of America.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: My platform/country/version doesn't show in the hall of fame

Post by Holger »

Hi ncrecc, this is a bit strange. First of all, I can see your high score just fine here, with correct score details as follows:

- tape date: 2022-04-24
- platform: Windows
- version: 4.3.2.0

However, I just noticed the following difference in playing time:

- time: 00:13
- score: 00306

The score server shows the following for this level (see https://api.artsoft.org/levels/view/28):

Code: Select all

High Scores

Niko Böhm's Tutorial · Level 002 · rocks and walls and nuts

Rank	Player	Score	Play Time	Tape Date
1.	RND_TAS	308	0:12.50		2010-08-10
2.	ncrecc	306	0:13.90		2022-04-24
3.	LotB	306	0:14.02		2022-01-05
When going to https://api.artsoft.org/scores and searching for "player_id:194 niko level_nr:002", limiting search results to "From: 2022-04-24 00:00:00" and "to: 2022-04-24 23:59:59", there are 6 results which are recorded at "2022-04-24" with different scores and playing time.

Another hint: If "platform", "version" and "country" are shown as "unknown", this means that the corresponding score data was not taken from the high score server, but from the local score file.

So, a very simple reason for this situation could be that the score entry was written to the local score file (as it is always the case), and it was already submitted to the high score server, but the new score entry was not confirmed by the high score server yet, which may indeed take some time (especially if lots of older scores are still pending for verification by the server) -- the high score server runs the R'n'D executable on each and every score tape to replay it and check if it is valid (that is, if it solves the level).

Another possible reason could be that a score tape was checked by the server as "unsolvable", which unfortunately happens every now and then when using the "quick-save tape" and "quick-load tape" feature (but not when using the "pause before end" functionality). In this case, the server will not send that score to any client, but it will still be displayed by the local client itself, which has that score in its local score file. But this is not the case here -- all your scores for this level have the status "approved". (BTW: I really should add an option to the "Settings" page of the high score server web site to also show scores that were not approved, to be able to check cases like this.)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Update: Another (very likely) reason for the missing score details is the following (and I am sure that this is the case here, as the score shown in your screenshot is not your best score for this level, as can be seen at the playing time):

The high score server only sends one single score entry per player for the current level in the Hall of Fame, and only these have the extended score details! All other of your scores for that level will still be shown on your own R'n'D installation, but without the score details which are only stored on the server!

So, a possible extension to R'n'D could be to query these details from the score server also for those (own) scores which are not part of the "official high score list" for that level (with only one entry per player).

Another solution would be to just store these details locally, too (which would work fine for the game version and platform, but not for the country, which is determined by the client IP address on the server itself).
ncrecc

Post by ncrecc »

Holger wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:29 am Hi ncrecc, this is a bit strange. First of all, I can see your high score just fine here, with correct score details as follows:

- tape date: 2022-04-24
- platform: Windows
- version: 4.3.2.0

However, I just noticed the following difference in playing time:

- time: 00:13
- score: 00306
Part of the confusion may be because I did a couple more playthroughs on that level shortly after posting this and got a higher score.