A Totally Normal Levelset

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

SLAPPYHAPPY2000

A Totally Normal Levelset

Post by SLAPPYHAPPY2000 »

Ladies and gentlemen of the forum. I have made a new levelset that I will be releasing to the forum on this very day.
It is totally normal and should not be regarded as anything otherwise.

The levelset includes:
8 totally normal levels
They are all possible
And that's about it

I hope you enjoy and find nothing strikingly un-normal about this levelset. Because this levelset is totally normal.

:D

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13mukJ2 ... sp=sharing
jm28121977

Re: A Totally Normal Levelset

Post by jm28121977 »

Love this. Made me feel like I was on mushrooms. Stuck on levels 4 and 6 though - any hints?

Jamie x
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

jm28121977 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:29 pm Love this. Made me feel like I was on mushrooms. Stuck on levels 4 and 6 though - any hints?

Jamie x
Hey Jamie,

Glad you like it!
For level 4, I can only say that you haven't really SEEN THROUGH one part of the puzzle... or maybe WALKED THROUGH?

And for level 6, just keep walking around. The exit's gotta show up somewhere, sometime, or else I'd be greatly disproving my statement that "all the levels are possible".
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

SH2K

Thanks - all done now. That was a bit harsh on level 4. I don't think I'd ever had thought of trying that because it violates the laws of physics.

Jamie x
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

A bit too late to the party, but this level set is really ... strange! :-D Strange levels with strange music. Did I mention that it feels strange to play those levels? Very strange...

Otherwise, it's totally normal. Or is it? :mrgreen:

Well done, SH2K!

Hint: You might want to resample file "sounds/halloffame.wav" from 44100 to 22050 Hz -- at least for me, it crashes SDL_mixer (on a very old Linux; it works just fine on a not-too-old Mac), and R'n'D only uses 22050 Hz anyway (and that WAV file is quite large). You could even use mono instead of stereo, resulting in only a quarter of the original file size and a smaller overall archive size, but if channels are different (couldn't tell), just keep it that way.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

After playing some more levels from your level set, I just wanted to say that it's great fun how you play with the expectations of how the game elements should behave (and how they really behave then). Great work! :-)
ACME

Post by ACME »

Maybe this levelset is normal in the SLAPPYHAPPY2000 world? :D

I just finished the levels. Big levels, good ones, I like that they are not copy paste like most of Emerald Mine Club levels.

Cheers Image
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

First of all, thank you all for playing this levelset and I'm so glad that you like it!
Holger wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:27 pm Hint: You might want to resample file "sounds/halloffame.wav" from 44100 to 22050 Hz -- at least for me, it crashes SDL_mixer (on a very old Linux; it works just fine on a not-too-old Mac), and R'n'D only uses 22050 Hz anyway (and that WAV file is quite large). You could even use mono instead of stereo, resulting in only a quarter of the original file size and a smaller overall archive size, but if channels are different (couldn't tell), just keep it that way.
Gonna do that soon, thanks for letting me know. I generally don't pay attention to these types of things when getting my sounds, I just plop 'em in there.

Finally, to Holger especially, before I forget, there's a bug I'd like to report. If you look in the stage files, you'll see that there's a level file called "007original" and a tape file with the same name. The explanation is that the final section of the level was a bit different, but I had to change it because it kept crashing me if I went too far. The tape is a recreation of the setup in the level; all you have to do after the recording finishes is move right and it should crash (at least on Windows 10 for sure).

Ciao! 8)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Finally, to Holger especially, before I forget, there's a bug I'd like to report. If you look in the stage files, you'll see that there's a level file called "007original" and a tape file with the same name. The explanation is that the final section of the level was a bit different, but I had to change it because it kept crashing me if I went too far. The tape is a recreation of the setup in the level; all you have to do after the recording finishes is move right and it should crash (at least on Windows 10 for sure).
Yes, I've already seen these two files. I've tested it now on Windows 10, and I can confirm the immediate crash in nearly all cases -- I've tested it several times, and it almost always crashed the game just as you described it. But it only crashed in version 4.3.1.0! It did never crash in the latest version 4.3.1.1 -- which version did you use when it crashed for you?

I think it is the exact crash bug as described in "Respawn Anchor crashes the game"!

Please let me know if you should be able to reproduce the crash also with the latest version 4.3.1.1! :?
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Dang, just realized this entire time that I had FORGOTTEN to download version 4.3.1.1! How does that happen?

As soon as I get back to my computer I will get on that and tell you if the crash happens.