Tape Clock Times After Restore Issues

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

BryanFRitt

Tape Clock Times After Restore Issues

Post by BryanFRitt »

Tape clock clock time / restore issues

The tape clock time after restore is higher than rest of the times.

Example:

Pause the game
Tape time says 05:10

Save the tape (REPLACE OLD TAPE? yes)
Restore the tape (STOP RECORDING AND LOAD TAPE? yes)
Tape time says 05:21 <-- notice this is several seconds ahead of the other times.

Start playing
Next second the tape time jumps down to 05:11

This can be repeated over again, the time difference increases every time.

Clicking on stop also changes the tape time to yet another number.

(Also, is this a sign of other issues?)

EDIT: Tried level again and this time tape after restoring time was saying 00:00 even though I had played for a while. It jumped up in stated time after starting to play.
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Tape Clock Times After Restore Issues

Post by Holger »

This sounds like the tape panel does not get updated correctly after restoring.

However, I wasn't able to reproduce this behaviour so far. I tested with the latest version 4.3.1.0 on Linux and Mac, using the default tutorial level set (Niko Böhm's Tutorial), but also tested with one of the EMC level sets (Diamond Mine).

Did you use any special setup settings? Or other things that might differ from my test setup described above?

Is anybody else able to reproduce the described buggy behaviour?
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

I forget what level it was that it was doing this in. I couldn't recreate it this time. [see update next post, figured out how to recreate it]
But I do remember when this was happening the clock time differences were increasing every time.
Last edited by BryanFRitt on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

UPDATE: It happens whenever there's been a save/restore tape that has occurred during a playback of a tape.
Tested with Emerald Mine Club > Bug Mine 1 > Level 81 (A blank level with no exit)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I tried again to reproduce this problem, but failed repeatedly.

Does this problem still occur with the current version 4.3.2.1? Are you still able to trigger this?
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Are you still able to trigger this?
Yes, this time I fully figured out how to recreate this!
It's basically based off of the same bug as this one, but complaining about a different side effect.
viewtopic.php?t=3366
After doing the following, move a bit, ||pause R'n'D, add quick save and a quick restore, then look at the tape time, move for a bit, and look at the tape time again!
BryanFRitt wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:18 am
Could you please write a step-by-step description (like that: press this key or button, do this, then do that, then this happens which should not be the case) how to reproduce the buggy behavior you have encountered?
  • Start a level
  • Move somewhere
  • Press the quick save shortcut
  • For 'REPLACE OLD TAPE ?' choose 'YES'.
  • Press '[]STOP', Press '|>PLAY' (These two are I was calling a 'playback restore', because it plays back the tape, instead of going directly to the end, a 'quick restore')
  • Optional: The '[]STOP' button can be pressed during playback to restart playing from a point within the playback.
    NOTES: A) Pressing '()RECORD' during playback doesn't have this unpause issue. B) I'm thinking this recording state shouldn't be allowed to happen. C) There maybe other issues with this. See EDIT.
From here on, until the tape is quick restored, additional pauses won't unpause with directional keys, etc... See EDIT.
* EDIT: I noticed in this state, even when not paused, the tape no longer says it's recording, and the tape timer isn't going up.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Now I was able to reproduce the problem you described! And yes, this looks a little bit horrible. :o

The bug here is that the program allows to quick-save the game although not in recording mode! :shock:

This has to be fixed!
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Code: Select all

+---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
| A |----| B |----| C |----| D |
          | |                |
          | +----------------+
          |
          |       +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
          +-------| E |----| F |----| G |----| H |
                            | |                |
                            | +----------------+
                            |       +---+    +---+
                            +-------| I |----| J |
                                    +---+    +---+
Say 'D' was []|>play back restored to 'B'([]STOP:>PLAY by pressing ||PAUSE then ()RECORD in the middle of playback, quick saved at 'F', payed to 'H', quick restored to 'F', played to 'J' and quick saved again

Result should be:

+---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
| A |----| B |----| E |----| F |----| I |----| J |
+---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
skipping over this part:

|       +---+    +---+    +---+    +---+
          +-------| E |----| F |----| G |----| H |
Although, seems to work [almost] like it should.

However, if instead a []|>playback restore from D was allowed to be finished(going back to D) , then future playback restores only go to D even if there are future quick save points that can be quick restored to, well at least intel R'n'D is restarted. After a R'n'D restore the quick restore will go to D.

| A |----| B |----| C |----| D |
Playback restores should finish in a recording state. Definitely paused, if SETUP > GAME & MENU > START GAME IN PAUSE MODE is set to ON.
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Holger wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:21 pm Now I was able to reproduce the problem you described! And yes, this looks a little bit horrible. :o

The bug here is that the program allows to quick-save the game although not in recording mode! :shock:

This has to be fixed!
IMHO There shouldn't be a non-recording mode at all.
See New Ideas: Multiple Quick Save Points
viewtopic.php?t=3372