Hall of fame

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

edud

Hall of fame

Post by edud »

Hello!

Maybe something like this is worth doing?
See attached picture...

Thanks.
:)
Attachments
hall_of_fame.png
hall_of_fame.png (146.53 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Hall of fame

Post by Holger »

Yes, I think this is a good idea!

However, listing more details for each highscore entry directly on the high score screen could be tricky, as there is not that much free screen space available anymore -- the font used on your picture is very tiny and could be hard to read.

Therefore, I plan to add a details page for each score entry, showing things like tape recording date (which may differ from the publishing date, especially for older tapes/scores), score and time, maybe also platform and version (not sure about this) and a button to download and replay the corresponding tape for this high score entry.

I'm not sure about some details, though. At the moment, the high score screen can easily be left by clicking with the mouse, pressing a key or a button; this would then show the details page for the selected score entry. Pressing "Escape" to leave the high score screen has the problem that it may not be that obvious for many people, and will not be available on devices like tablets (where even the back button is not immediately available with recent Android versions, but has to be swiped onto the screen first).

Especially when viewing the hall of fame after solving a level, it seems important to me that it should be quick and easy to go on with playing the next level. Pressing "Escape" here might give the expectation to quit playing and return to the main menu.

Displaying the high score screen similar to the level selection or setup screens (that is, adding a "go back" or "exit" menu entry) probably does not make things nicer.

Maybe I could add a button in the top left or right corner to enter an "extended high score screen" which offers selecting the details page for each score entry on a menu style screen, or something like that.

Any ideas how to implement such a "feature-rich hall of fame" are more than welcome! :-)
filbo

Post by filbo »

It is common in many online discussion venues for the timestamps of posts / comments to be 'permalinks' to that post (scrolled to that comment, in the case of a comment).

Suppose by analogy that the time (duration) values in the high score display could be used as a menu button for these extended features. Each timestamp could have a little 'v' symbol to hint that there's a menu; then when moused over it could pulse or display a button-like border (or whatever seems appropriate). And then, on clicking one of the time stamps, it could either go to a new screen all about that score / recording; or could unfurl a pulldown menu -- whatever seems to make more sense when implementing it.

Currently, other than the tutorial levels, most levels will only have a few entries at the top. So a pulldown menu would have plenty of room extending downwards from the top few entries. Clicking an entry further down the table might instead unfurl the menu upwards from the button; and if the menu is long enough, some entries in the middle of the display might need to pop the menu up over the button (centered on it rather than extending below or above). ... anyway, all solvable.
filbo

Post by filbo »

(I suppose the RnD standard for that 'little v' is the full-cell '=>' character, as seen in the main menu, setup, etc.; but that seems overly large and intrusive for this purpose...)