Enemies are not present in Deflektor from Mirror Magic compared to the original

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

RAP

Enemies are not present in Deflektor from Mirror Magic compared to the original

Post by RAP »

So I just beat Deflektor from Mirror Magic, considering that there much fewer topics on Mirror Magic than say Rocks'n'Diamonds (the most notable recent mention is viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2535 ); ...or even a separate section for Mirror Magic at all, which makes me wonder if there was custom user made levels sent over the years that haven't been integrated yet. I could maybe make a levelset or two, but that's more of a 'if I feel like it' kind of thing. Hopefully you don't mind this topic being made, Holger, despite almost all the forum activity dedicated to Rocks'n'Diamonds and related games like it.

I played it yesterday and today, and it took about 125 minutes, or 2.083 hours to beat it (or complete it, since there's no optional objectives, just all 60 levels); yeah, I timed it myself, not only it includes the successful attempts but also the failed attempts. I would like to say a maybe more than couple of things about Deflektor (and Mindbender when I try to get around to it), but right now, let's get onto the main reason why I made this topic:

Apparently there is one major thing that Mirror Magic's take on Deflektor doesn't have compared to the original itself: Enemies.

The reason I say this is that I came across this YouTube video of a longplay of the original Deflektor for the Amiga 500 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhepjuNH4rs ) from the YouTube channel "World of Longplays", for which starting at level 5 ( https://youtu.be/yhepjuNH4rs?t=336 ) enemies would start to spawn, something I never seen when playing Deflektor through Mirror Magic.

From watching a bit of the video, it looks like the enemies aren't necessarily restricted to the grid as they move onto the level layout. They tend to move at random and move at any of the 8 directions. Their main purpose is to manipulate the rotatable deflectors by constantly rotating them when they are attached to them; mainly to distract and waste the player's time from finishing the level within the time limit. It's hard to say if the different looking enemies have different attributes, like if there's they be defeated and destroyed by a different method other than just trying to laser onto them. Perhaps there's a finite number of them preset that they can appear per level, sorted by the type of enemy, or maybe it's truly random.

Holger, have you at one point tried to emulate and incorporate it into Mirror Magic? I was wondering if what I was playing accurately emulates how it was played in the original so I can basically add it to my spreadsheet of games I played and whether I beaten or completed them or not. It seems I cannot but I can probably add Mirror Magic's Deflektor into the spreadsheet.