Auto-save

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

ACME

Auto-save

Post by ACME »

CEEL wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:52 pm Autosave.
More relaxing having autosave if ever needed and using another key
to this like 'backspace' (or you could use the default key for loading).
Anyway, it should work as follows:
-I haven't bothered/forgot saving.
-I die, I press 'backspace' and I'm ready to continue in a 'blink'
from where I got it even if I've played for a long time, if possible.
I've seen Auto-save in just one Boulder Dash game called RockStory

Let's say you solved half of the level and die, it will automatically start from that point.

I find it very useful on hard levels.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Auto-save

Post by Holger »

Hi ACME, welcome to the R'n'D forum! :D

As the thread you were replying to is already 15 years old (and also handles several topics under the title "Misc"), I've split your reply to start a new thread.

But on topic:

Auto-save already exists in R'n'D, although it is a bit hidden(*) -- go to "setup -> game & menu" and set "show snapshot buttons" to "on". Now, when playing a game, you can press the "pause" button in the game panel and get a "backwards" and "forward" button on the left and right of the pause button, which let you navigate back and forth in your playing progress. Of course this also works after "sudden death", so you can just go back step by step and try again.

(*) This feature is a bit hidden for a reason: There is still a consistency bug in the game snapshot handling, causing broken tapes if snapshots were used during the game. I have tried to debug this problem several times very hard, but never found the root cause for this bug. That's why the snapshot buttons are disabled by default.
ACME

Re: Auto-save

Post by ACME »

Hi Holger, and thanks :)

Good, I didn't know about "pause" and "backwards" and "forward".

It's different from the auto-save I was talking about, but this option also works well.