Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

mat

"Last played sets" bugs

Post by mat »

I've tested only on Android.

First:
1. Choose any levelset.
2. Choose the same levelset but this time choose it from "Last played sets".
3. Go to "Last played sets" again. The game crashes.

Second (two bugs in one):
1. Choose any levelset from "Last played sets" (e.g. Emerald Mine (Kingsoft)).
2. Choose the same levelset but this time normally (here: from Emerald Mine Club).
3. The game loads the already loaded artwork.
4. Go to "Last played sets'" to crash one more time.

Third:
1. Remove levelsetup.conf if it exists (should contain last played levelsets).
2. Launch RND.
3. Choose a set that uses custom artwork (for instance, Emerald Mine (Kingsoft)).
4. From "Last played sets", choose the second levelset.
5. From "Last played sets", choose the first levelset (here: Emerald Mine (Kingsoft)).
6. The artwork is not changed. Interestingly, when you select other sets several times (fill the last played sets with another) and you go back to the first two levelgroups, the bug may disappear...
Holger
Site Admin

Re: "Last played sets" bugs

Post by Holger »

This is really a horrible bug! :oops:

I've never encountered this when testing on my Linux box, but immediately (and reproducibly) get crashes when running on the Mac. I have no idea why this bug does not show up on my Linux system (which it should). :roll:

The unneeded reloading of custom artwork was a different bug; thank you for pointing me towards this second problem.

I've fixed both bugs now, and hopefully will be able to release the fixed version this weekend!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Should all be fixed now with the latest version 4.2.3.1 (just released)!

Thanks again for quickly reporting these show-stopper bugs!
mat

Post by mat »

As far as I can see, the defects have been removed :)
Holger wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:18 am Thanks again for quickly reporting these show-stopper bugs!
Not at all :)
mat

Post by mat »

Unfortunately, I found the next bug :( (in a similar level of horribleness). If you want to change a levelset after running the game, be careful not to select the sets from Last played sets (especially more than once) because this maneuver causes resetting a completion state of those levelgroups and you'll have to complete them from the beginning. From time to time, a change to other set outside the Last played menu (after resetting some groups with it), and a change to another levelset from Last played again will also reset that newly selected levelset.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Hi mat,

it seems that I am either not able to reproduce the described behaviour, or that I did not understand it correctly.

I will describe what I just tested, so you may correct me if I did something differently than you had done it.

Regarding "change a levelset after running the game", I did the following (using levelsets from the game package only):

- selecting levelset "Niko Böhm's Tutorial", then selecting levelset "Supaplex" (from the "Classic Original Games" group)
- now both sets are listed in the "last played level sets" sub-menu

- now select levelset "Niko Böhm's Tutorial" from the "last played level sets" sub-menu, then choosing level 001
- checking current completion state by clicking on level number "001" and opening the "select level" menu
- level 001 is green (solved), level 002 is yellow (played, but not solved yet)
- start playing level 001 it for some time
- pressing the "stop" button and leaving the game again (therefore not solving the level)

- now do exactly the same, but with levelset "Supaplex"

When done, I've checked the level set progress of both level sets, but they were not reset.

Am I doing anything wrong? If so, what do I have to do to reproduce the described bad behaviour?
mat

Post by mat »

I will describe my steps to reproduce to be sure:
1. Make one (or more) levelsets visible on the Last played sets.
2. Choose other set as currently selected.
3. Quit the game, then run it again.
4. Choose the levelsets from the first item (from Last played - one after another; without playing them). The progress of those sets has been removed.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Just did some more tests (with and without "handicap" option enabled in the setup menu), and I am still unable to reproduce the described behavior.

So some more questions:

Did you do the tests with the "handicap" option enabled or disabled?

When you write "progress of those sets has been removed", do you mean the handicap level (that is, the highest level that can be freely selected in the main menu), or do you mean the "last played level" has been reset (so you would manually have to select the highest possible level again)?

In my tests (using the latest version of the game), none of these two values have been reset.

Is anybody else able to reproduce what mat has described here?
mat

Post by mat »

I have enabled handicap.

Perhaps I can't explain some things well so I have prepared a video explanation:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_QEjnw ... sp=sharing

The bug occurs for skipped and completed levels.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Now I see! Indeed! :shock:

Thank you for that video! I was able to reproduce the problem you have described now! :o

So I can now start investigating what's going on here -- apparently it only happens with the "handicap" option enabled (which is the default, and which explains why I never encountered this problem, as I usually have this option disabled).

This should really not happen, and I will try to fix this bug as soon as possible.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Bug found and fixed! :D

It really only happens with the "handicap" option enabled (which is the default), and it only affects that option (by effectively resetting it if the level set was selected from the "last played" menu).

Will be corrected with the next release version!

Thanks again for helping me to finally fix this nasty bug!

Update:

In the next release version, I have also changed the apparently confusing naming of the following two setup options

- "Handicap: on/off"
- "Skip Unsolved Levels: on/off"

to

- "Force Solving Levels: on/off"
- "Allow Skipping Levels: on/off"

which are hopefully more comprehensible.