4.2.2.1: Additional way to retry level with "Ask On Game Over" feature enabled

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

RAP

4.2.2.1: Additional way to retry level with "Ask On Game Over" feature enabled

Post by RAP »

Heya folks, it's been some time since being here. I see that some stuff has been advancing, including new levelsets recovered from the Emerald Mine Club to play too. I've been trying out the newest version (since I stuck around 4.1.0.0, think I'll keep both versions active for now).

I notice there's a new feature "Ask On Game Over" under the "Game & Menu" section in the "Setup" menu. Pretty nifty stuff, helps lessen the friction, reducing the amount of seconds to just back into the game, retrying faster, that's pretty awesome.

What I noticed is that when dying, there's a prompt to ask whether I can retry again immediately. The thing is I'm so accustomed to pressing the Space Bar (which is the "Start Game & Toggle Pause" key function under "Key Shortcuts" > "Various Keys" section in the "Setup" menu) to retry the level again because of accessibility and out of habit of being the fastest way to retry the level at the time before this new prompt feature was added. In this instance, upon dying, I got to this prompt as per the settings, and I used the Space Bar, but it won't let me since the only way to retry the level again is only through the keyboard is by pressing the 'Enter' key. I mean, pressing the Escape key while on that prompt would let you go back to the main menu, why not have that for the "Start Game & Toggle Pause" key button too?

I'm not sure if this is classified as a new feature or a bug to be remedied; I put it here to hopefully get more attention.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: 4.2.2.1: Additional way to retry level with "Ask On Game Over" feature enabled

Post by Holger »

Hi RAP, nice to see you here again! :D
including new levelsets recovered from the Emerald Mine Club to play too
Yes, and including a huge amount of solution tapes you have created years ago (which still work just fine)! :)
I mean, pressing the Escape key while on that prompt would let you go back to the main menu, why not have that for the "Start Game & Toggle Pause" key button too?
Do you mean that you would like to have pressing the "space" key at this point have the same effect as pressing the "escape" key? Or did I misunderstand you completely?

If so, this could be a bit confusing, as pressing space at most places in the game acts like "continue" or "go on", while for the request to restart the game or not, it could mean both.

If it does not work well with a game workflow you're accustomed to (which I do understand), you can just simply deactivate it in the setup menu, and have the previous, well-known behavior again.
RAP

Re: 4.2.2.1: Additional way to retry level with "Ask On Game Over" feature enabled

Post by RAP »

Sorry about that sentence Holger; to clarify, I meant to say is if 'Enter' is used for being able to retry again with the "Ask On Game Over" feature, why not extend it to the "Start Game & Toggle Pause" key (which by default I think it's 'Space Bar'?; I'm not sure if I set it up myself or not) too?

Although, I might just have to disable the feature entirely, since when I pressed the "Start Game & Toggle Pause" key too fast before the "Ask On Game Over" prompt appeared, it let be go back to the main menu.