Emerald Mine Club level collection 3.1.0 released!

R'n'D is always evolving. Check here to see if a new version is out.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Holger
Site Admin

Emerald Mine Club level collection 3.1.0 released!

Post by Holger »

There is an update available for the Emerald Mine Club level collection that contains the following new features and fixes:
  • extended game panel to display dynamite, keys and level number
  • this can be disabled via setup menu for 100% classic original game panel
  • increased vertical screen size also useful in the level editor
  • request dialog was changed to not cover the playfield anymore
  • fixed Emerald Mine style elements on the elements info screen
  • fixed some slightly wrong file permissions
Although not strictly required, this level collection update works best with the newly released version 4.2.2.0 of Rocks’n’Diamonds.

The updated Emerald Mine Club level collection package is available at the Levels & Artwork page!
filbo

Re: Emerald Mine Club level collection updated!

Post by filbo »

First levelset I'm trying this in -- emc_freak_mine_2_easy -- I see no key or bombs indicators.

Self-build 4.2.2.0 binary, EMC 3.1.0 installed, new 'show dynamite and keys' setting turned on (default).

Switched to emc_forgotten_mine_2 -- it works there.

Modifying emc_freak_mine_2_easy/graphics/graphicsinfo.conf to match (adding 'include: gic_chipset.conf', copying in that file + RocksChipset.png) does not help.

emc_ace_mine_1 has the same issue; it is the referenced graphics set in emc_freak_mine_2_easy.

The package provides 253 identical copies each of gic_chipset.conf & RocksChipset.png. Can't those live in some parent directory and be found by the automatic chain of fallback locations? (I think such a thing exists :)
filbo

Re: Emerald Mine Club level collection updated!

Post by filbo »

> First levelset I'm trying this in -- emc_freak_mine_2_easy -- I see no key or bombs indicators.

Well, I'm going to guess you were not able to reproduce this, as it was a config / setup error on my part. There might be something RnD could have done to mitigate it, though.

I had these directories:

/usr/share/games/rocksndiamonds/levels/Emerald_Mine_Club-2.1.1.hide
/usr/share/games/rocksndiamonds/levels/Emerald_Mine_Club-3.0.0.hide
/usr/share/games/rocksndiamonds/levels/Emerald_Mine_Club (containing 3.1.0)

Actual names were different, but I have since confirmed that any names will be found, even e.g. '.hide.EMC-3.0.0'. I don't even know why I imagined '.hide' would omit it from RnD's scan!

I'm not sure what actual order they were scanned in. It might depend on the exact details of the names, and I don't actually remember what they were at the time -- I renamed them multiple times in discovering the actual issue.

The possible mitigation has to do with this. Somehow I was getting hybrids, where e.g. the new emc_freak_mine_2_easy config was being read, but when it referred to emc_ace_mine_1, it was getting an older config of that.

Three possibilities, in what feels to me like most- to least-sensible:

(1) define a pathname syntax which means 'ignore' (e.g. '.hide' on end, or 'starts with dot', or whatever)

(2) emit a torrent of warnings about duplicate levelset names (then I would have noticed and fixed the hierarchy long ago)

(3) when resolving content implicitly or explicitly referenced by a levelset, prefer the so-named content from its own directory path hierarchy over any others of the same names in other 'less related' paths (i.e.: diverging more parent directories away)

Actually 1+2 is probably best. Unless this exposes a huge pile of existing duplicate names (but in that case there's probably a data issue to resolve...)

My new directory structure looks like this, and seems to work correctly:

/usr/share/games/rocksndiamonds/levels-alternates/Emerald_Mine_Club-2.1.1
/usr/share/games/rocksndiamonds/levels-alternates/Emerald_Mine_Club-3.0.0
/usr/share/games/rocksndiamonds/levels-alternates/Emerald_Mine_Club-3.1.0
/usr/share/games/rocksndiamonds/levels/Emerald_Mine_Club -> ../levels-alternates/Emerald_Mine_Club-3.1.0

-- and by 'correctly' I mean, along with anything else, that I now get keys & bombs shown in 'Freak Mine 2 Easy' (and Ace Mine 1).