EMC The Exception 2 level 35 solvable?

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

filbo

EMC The Exception 2 level 35 solvable?

Post by filbo »

Levelset 'The Exception Two', level 35 (file: levels/Emerald Mine Club/emc_exception_2/35). I reach the exit still needing one emerald. I've been over the whole thing in slow motion multiple times, can't find anywhere I'm missing anything -- except one thing around coordinates [40,20] in the level.

There's a yam which you break with a rock, turns into a blue door and a bug, which circles around and explodes when it hits a dripper. In the tight corridor it turns into 4 gems: a vertical stack of emerald-diamond-emerald, and one more emerald to the bottom right. I capture the 2 bottom emeralds, but must drop the diamond through a magic wall, to become a rock and blow up a series of bombs. The top emerald then also falls into the magic wall because I can't catch it on the fly; it doesn't become a diamond because the bomb explosion is in the way.
emc_exception_2-35.png
emc_exception_2-35.png (34.56 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
This is at about T=2:39 in the attached tape.

Is that where I'm coming up 1 short? Some other thing I'm missing? Or is the level defective?
Attachments
emc_exception_2-35.tape
incomplete solution -- reach the exit 1 emerald short
(3.28 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
filbo

Re: EMC The Exception 2 level 35 solvable?

Post by filbo »

Now on levelset 'The Exception Two', level 72 (file: levels/Emerald Mine Club/emc_exception_2/72) -- I can't even get this level started. Pick up green key, rescue diamond before it's crushed, walk out into the corridor around the world ... nothing. The only entrance is blocked, and I can't think of any sort of game engine difference which might have allowed this level to work.

Anyone? It's such a well-wrought set of levels, having one that just doesn't work at all is jarring.
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Hi Filbo

Same problem here mate. Finished Exception 2 tonight, coincidentally. Skipped 72 because I could only access a small part of the outer edge. Is this the wraparound thing?

Cheers
Jamie
filbo

Post by filbo »

Were you able to finish level 35?

72 doesn't seem to be a wraparound problem. I'm playing it with R'n'D 4.2.0.3 where wraparound works correctly; and there just isn't any wrap-related reason for that level to fail.

In fact, I have the following levels unfinished:

35: 1 emerald short (maybe the last emerald of bug smashed above magic wall, which falls through and disappears?)
45: can't quite reach exit (balloons in the way / one balloon control too few)
56: 1 emerald short
64: stuck with 89 emeralds to go, rock needed to drop on nut is eaten by magic wall
72: can't even get into the main body of the level
80: stuck with 112 emeralds to go, can't get red key

If you have better results on any of those, please let me know...
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Those were exactly the same ones I skipped and for the same reasons. The exception is level 56 where I have a score in the hall of fame so it looks like I've completed the level. Inexplicably, my tapes for levels 34-58 are missing but the others are there. I've played 56 again a few times tonight and come up one emerald short each time. I have no idea why: a. my tape isn't there and b. I have a score of 2060 in the hall of fame. I'm getting frustrated by this and think it's time for us both to move on to a new levelset!

Cheers
Jamie
filbo

Post by filbo »

I've moved on, but would definitely go back to finish those levels if the means were discovered! Those are particularly good levelsets out of the EMC club pile. The end of Exception 2 says that Exception 3 and 'Pyramid Levels' are 'coming soon', and I don't seem to have either of those, which is a shame...
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Yeah, Leo's my favourite level designer. I've now completed all of his and, like you, couldn't locate the Pyramid levels. Do you have any other levelsets you would recommend? Ones along the lines of Expert and Exception and Into the <whatever>?

Cheers
Jamie