Does anyone know where these audio clips used in BD2K3 came from?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

RamiSlicer

Does anyone know where these audio clips used in BD2K3 came from?

Post by RamiSlicer »

I was digging around through the files of BD2K3, I noticed 4 audio files with names starting with BD2K3_J and ending with letters A-D plus the extension which are played in a secret area in the final level, where did these come from? I'm particularly interested in BD2K3_JC.wav because when reversed and slowed down you can hear:
Crisis, lesbian forces today attacked Israel
I was able to find plenty of direct quotes of this (it's a radio broadcast apparently) dating all the way back to 1982, but no source.
Does anyone have any info about where these audio clips came from?
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone know where these audio clips used in BD2K3 came from?

Post by Holger »

Never noticed this!! :shock: :D :mrgreen:

But that really sounds like one of Alan Bond's hilarious, crazy insider jokes, often related to British radio/TV trivia, that he liked to hide in his creations! :D

And no, I have no freakin' idea where this clip came from! But please let me know if you can find it out! (Also noticed your thread related to the same topic on Reddit... hope you're successful!)
RamiSlicer

Post by RamiSlicer »

Holger wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:06 pm But that really sounds like one of Alan Bond's hilarious, crazy insider jokes, often related to British radio/TV trivia, that he liked to hide in his creations! :D
Quite a lot of of the stuff I found did come from Great Britain so I'll definitely keep it in mind while searching. I also tried contacting the BBC about it (it was featured in one of their programs), unfortunately they couldn't help because of COVID staff shortages.
RamiSlicer

Post by RamiSlicer »

Hey everyone,

Four years, and I think I finally found it! Although alas, it might not be quite the blooper we thought it is.

The full recording comes from a 1974 film directed by the American director Kermit Schafer titled Pardon My Blooper. It can be heard around 15 minutes into the film, which may or may not be publicly available on some places. This is by far the oldest reference to the audio I have found by far and is exquisitely crisp. Kermit Schafer's work does date back to the early 1950s, but although I tried my best to search through these using the Internet Archive, OpenAI's Whisper model for transcription, and grep, I couldn't find any references to Israel, lesbians, the "Lesbanese", or the Lebanese. :(

One thing that I should mention is why I am claiming the clip comes from the movie itself and not some even older yet unknown source. The reason for this is that allegedly, Shafer had a record of simply rerecording anecdotal bloopers if he couldn't get a source for them. This means that for all we know, the blooper may have originated from someone long since passed away, been telephoned into what we hear now, or just made up for a laugh.

Nonetheless, I'm quite pleased with the results and I hope anyone interested in the search is too. I can't attach the excerpt to the post however those interested can find it in the aforementioned film.

Also, I got all the other audios located:
BD2K3_JA.wav - This is the Neighbors theme song
BD2K3_JB.wav - This is the sixth Doctor Who theme. I really should've figured this out as soon as you mentioned British TV :lol:
BD2K3_JD.wav - It's Star Trek.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

That's cool, and yes, all three audio sources (that is, the original songs) are very likely what I would have expected Alan Bond to use for his level sets! :-)