Trial of the Emerald: Trying to fix the things

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Trial of the Emerald: Trying to fix the things

Post by SLAPPYHAPPY2000 »

After feedback from jm28121977, filbo, and Anonycat, I brought myself to observe the level I have created once again to see what I could change about it to be a bit better. Here is the "changelog" for this attempt at fixing some of the issues in the original level:

- Changed the section with the Robots and the purple emeralds, right before the land mine and trap maze. I realized you only needed one dynamite to clear the thing, so I removed the second dynamite.
- With the land mine and trap maze, I removed all of the traps and instead focused on making the placements of the land mines as confusing as possible, squeezing as much difficulty from that as I could with the concept.
- Added a few traps elsewhere in the level (after the Snik-Snak/lamp section), in an attempt to see if it would encourage players to be more careful when approaching traps. Let me know what you think.
- The growing wall section with the two purple emeralds was the one that everyone seemed to say they had the biggest problem with, so I replaced it with a little Satellite section. Removed the two gems and adjusted the gem count, accordingly.
- Changed the placement of a few doors, to accommodate for a White Key that did not correspond to any door.
- Added a few walls with letters on it.

That's pretty much it, to be honest. Tell me if this is an improvement, or a downgrade. I'll be waiting.
SlappyHappy2000
Attachments
Trial of the Emerald (fix 1).zip
Enjoy, I suppose.
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 243 times
Flumminator

Re: Trial of the Emerald: Trying to fix the things

Post by Flumminator »

Well, here's my try. Took a few hours and countless reloads (no single-stepping!) and here it is. But I didn't make the comparison to your initial version.

I really enjoyed playing the level. It's probably not suited as a tutorial, though ;)
Attachments
001.tape
(8.05 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Trial of the Emerald

Post by SLAPPYHAPPY2000 »

I think this might be the version I want to release to the next Contributions pack.