SUGGESTION: A nitpick with the New Supaplex Level Collection Hud

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

SLAPPYHAPPY2000

SUGGESTION: A nitpick with the New Supaplex Level Collection Hud

Post by SLAPPYHAPPY2000 »

"The New Supaplex Level Collection" has many great features and tidbits that make the Supaplex experience a whole lot more immersive. One of these is the Hud, which was made to match the DOS Supaplex Hud, while also keeping certain R'n'D elements like the tape recorder. It's fantastic, except from one thing that almost makes me want to go back to the normal Hud:

WHERE THE HECK IS THE BOMB COUNTER?

The bomb counter in the original Supaplex would only show up to the right of the infotron counter when you collected or dropped a bomb. That's better than scrapping it entirely, I must say, since I died in quite a few unfair ways thanks to me not being able to see how many bombs I had in my inventory. If the creators of the New Supaplex Level Collection are reading this... please, for the love of Murphy, ADD A BOMB COUNTER.
Attachments
The Hud in-game.
The Hud in-game.
supaplex-4.png (40.44 KiB) Viewed 12953 times
Eizzoux

Re: SUGGESTION: A nitpick with the New Supaplex Level Collection Hud

Post by Eizzoux »

Hmm, good point, maybe I can try to do that by myself, this shouldn't be too hard, I'll try later.
(also I'm not creator of it, just sayin')
𒈟
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

A m a z i n g, thank you!
As soon as you finish making it, post it in here, and I'll gladly download and use it!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, you're right, the bomb counter is indeed missing.

As Eizzoux already mentioned, it should be possible to add it...
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Holger wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:50 am Yes, you're right, the bomb counter is indeed missing.

As Eizzoux already mentioned, it should be possible to add it...
Cool!

I just hope that Eizzoux actually does take some time to make it...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I'll also give it a try... it's a bit special, as it appears and disappears. Not sure if it can be 100% emulated though...
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Holger wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:23 pm I'll also give it a try... it's a bit special, as it appears and disappears. Not sure if it can be 100% emulated though...
Nice! Again, if you do complete it... give me a download? :lol:
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, of course -- it will then be part of an updated "Supaplex Level Collection"!

And it has to be updated anyway, due to altermaven's new Supaplex level set "The Promotech Incident". :)
Eizzoux

Red disks: Three different variants of mine

Post by Eizzoux »

Sorry for being a little bit too late, I was kind of busy last couple of days. So anyways, here are three different variants I came up with:
Three variants to update interface
Three variants to update interface
spdisk1.png (69.57 KiB) Viewed 12613 times
1) Moves the time just a little bit to the left and adds the inventory counter on the right of it, but with a narrow counter just because the space is just so narrow;
2) Moves the time to the right and adds the inventory counter on the left of it, not so narrow now at least;
3) Extends the player name space and adds the red disk display on the right end of it right after the player name. Sadly, does not work on Supaplex engine, since, well... inventory_last and inventory_first just can't work on it, sadly... Hopefully, this can be... fixed, I guess?

Here are those variants for you to try out... Well, if you want to.
𒈟
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Re: Red disks: Three different variants of mine

Eizzoux wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:48 am Sorry for being a little bit too late, I was kind of busy last couple of days. So anyways, here are three different variants I came up with:
spdisk1.png
1) Moves the time just a little bit to the left and adds the inventory counter on the right of it, but with a narrow counter just because the space is just so narrow;
2) Moves the time to the right and adds the inventory counter on the left of it, not so narrow now at least;
3) Extends the player name space and adds the red disk display on the right end of it right after the player name. Sadly, does not work on Supaplex engine, since, well... inventory_last and inventory_first just can't work on it, sadly... Hopefully, this can be... fixed, I guess?

Here are those variants for you to try out... Well, if you want to.
27364825__sp_reddisk_tog_because_stuff_happens_sometimes_who_cares_anyways__19874803.zip
This is really cool! They definitely get the job done pretty well. My personal favorite is the first one, since in the original it was already a bit crowded, and it captures the original feeling a bit better. Until Holger uploads his official graphics, I'll definitely spend a lot of time using these! :)
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

@Holger

When is your official Supaplex bomb counter gonna be done, Holger?
I like Eizzoux's, but I would love it if we could get something a bit more faithful to the original game.
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Supaplex Bomb Counter for Supaplex Level Collection

When are you going to be done with your bomb counter for Supaplex, Holger?
I need it as soon as possible for a thing that I am working on.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Supaplex Bomb Counter for Supaplex Level Collection

Post by Holger »

Not sure when I will do an update of the Supaplex collection.

If you need it urgently, please use one of Eizzoux three variants above. I think they really look very good and very polished! :)