IDEA: Slow Pill

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

SLAPPYHAPPY2000

IDEA: Slow Pill

Post by SLAPPYHAPPY2000 »

I noticed that the Speed Pill is categorized under the "Rocks'n'Diamonds" category. I am assuming this means that it is original to Rocks'n'Diamonds. Which means that this item that I am suggesting should be entirely possible to add into the game.

I found it really annoying that if you use a Speed Pill in a level, there is no way to revert back to normal and you just have to design the rest of the level with the pill in mind. :x

So, I thought up of the Slow Pill, which decreases your speed. Collecting a Slow Pill while you have Speed Pill will revert your speed back to normal, as will collecting a Speed Pill while you have a Slow Pill. I think that this will make it so that a level can have a bit more variety in terms of speed.

T h a n k s.
armanelgtron

Re: IDEA: Slow Pill

Post by armanelgtron »

You should be able to create a custom element that does that. I'm not quite sure how to make it collectable without having another custom element somewhere. However, you can make it "walkable over" and change the speed (and the element to empty space) when entered by player.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: IDEA: Slow Pill

Post by Holger »

Yes, exactly. It's in fact a little bit clumsy, and it should probably be possible to directly assign a CE action if a CE is collected (without a CE change, of course, as that CE has just been collected), but it works just as armanelgtron has described it.

If you also want to design dedicated sounds and animations when collecting the speed changing CE, it could indeed be done using a second CE (which could be hidden in the playfield border etc.) that triggers the speed change when the collectible CE is collected.

I've attached an example level for the first solution which only uses one CE for each speed change.
Attachments
000.level
slow pill example level
(4.22 KiB) Downloaded 187 times