Exit door problems

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

jm28121977

Exit door problems

Post by jm28121977 »

Greetings

I'm hoping someone can help me please - I'm having some confusion over the behaviour of exit doors. I have created two multi-player levelsets and one of them requires ONE player to exit for the level to be completed whereas the other needs ALL players to exit. Both levelsets use the same type of door in the levels (BD closed exit) and they both use the R'n'D game engine. There don't seem to be any configuration options for either type of door that I can find in the editor.

It might be important that one of the levelsets I created only ever used BD doors (this is the one where all players must exit) and was created in 2020. The other one used to have closed exit (EM style) doors and was originally created in 2017 with the doors since being changed to BD closed exits. Any ideas how I can change door's behaviour?

Best wishes
Jamie x
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Exit door problems

Post by Holger »

Hi Jamie,

yes, I know what you mean, and indeed this is especially important for multi-player levels. (And I think what is still missing is a way to create "concurrent" levels where a level is won by one player (who first successfully enters the exit), but lost by the other players in that level...)

But for the case you mentioned, there should already be an option to do what you want: Instead of an option for the door elements (where one might indeed also expect to find such an option), this is in fact an option for the player elements: Please have a look at page "config 1" for one of the player elements; it's the last option on that page: "[x] only one player must enter exit". Using this option, you can control if a level can be solved by only one player reaching the exit, or if all players must enter the exit to successfully solve that level.

I hope this works as required for your levels! :-)

And BTW: Happy Easter! :D
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

YES! Thank you, Holger! I just didn't know where to look. Problem solved.

And Happy Easter!

Best wishes
Jamie x
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

This has helped so much. When my kids played, they'd get into fights over who got to be the one who went through the door. It had gotten to the point where one of them would just stand by the exit not helping with the level, letting the other one collect the last emeralds, just so he could be the one to get out. There's a lot less arguing now that I've changed all the levels so that they both get to exit.

Something that would be a great future feature (I realise this isn't the correct place to post this) would be the ability to set this for an entire levelset in one batch rather than having to individually set this for each level.

Best wishes
Jamie x
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

This has helped so much. When my kids played, they'd get into fights over who got to be the one who went through the door. It had gotten to the point where one of them would just stand by the exit not helping with the level, letting the other one collect the last emeralds, just so he could be the one to get out. There's a lot less arguing now that I've changed all the levels so that they both get to exit.
:lol:

Having two kids by myself, I perfectly know what you're talking about! :D

And I am very happy that you were able to solve the problem with that option.
Something that would be a great future feature (I realise this isn't the correct place to post this) would be the ability to set this for an entire levelset in one batch rather than having to individually set this for each level.
Yes, something like that could be very useful. A feature that is useful for similar cases (but for level sets yet to be created, not for already existing level sets) is the "level template" functionality: Change that player setting (on the "player" properties page), then save that level as a "level template" (under "conf -> editor") and use it for new levels. However, using level templates to retroactively change properties of an existing level currently only works for custom elements (CEs).
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Again - very helpful! Thank you, Holger. I'll change my template.

J