Two player levelsets

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

jm28121977

Two player levelsets

Post by jm28121977 »

Greetings,

Does anyone know of any 'proper' two-player levelsets please? In my experience, the general idea of a two-player mode in the vast majority of levelsets is sticking a second player next to the first but not adding, for example, a second red key, meaning only one player can complete each level. I'm aware of a few, but finding others is an agonising case of loading each levelset and manually checking the levels in the editor. I'm hoping someone out there can spare me this tedium.

Best wishes
Jamie xxx
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Re: Two player levelsets

Post by SLAPPYHAPPY2000 »

Yo, Jamie,

It's been more than four months since you made this post last, and I don't know if you found the solution to your problem yet. If you did, great :D .
If you didn't however, I could gladly make and test a levelset specifically for 2 players. I'll be serious about it, and I'll include it in my level collection (or send it to you separately first for you to have fun with)!

Give me a shout if you want me to go forth this idea.
Stay safe!

- SlappyHappy2000
filbo

Post by filbo »

I've noticed that many levels in 1-player levelsets are configured for 2-player use; that is, the level definition includes both P1 and P2, and there are 2 of each key. I've never actually tried playing them with 2. I assume the majority of them would actually work, some wouldn't because there's some sequence you can't do with a 2nd person in the way and the 2nd player can't be anywhere else; or some sort of single-use passage with no way around it.

I've also noticed that many levelsets include intentional 2-player levels at the end; sometimes modifications of some of the earlier levels, sometimes just different ones. (I usually try to play those with 1 player. Some are doable, some clearly impossible, as when the level has 2 completely disjoint halves, so both players must participate to get enough gems to exit.)

I've been playing through the EMC (Emerald Mine Club) levelsets for a long time, so those are the ones I'm primarily referring to...
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Yo, SlappyHappy2000

Are you serious? Erm... let me think about it... YES PLEASE! That'd make me so happy. I haven't found a solution at all to this. I got really bored looking through loads of levelsets as none of them were 'true' 2P sets. Every now and then I have a trawl but it's hard to find the time and the act itself is very time-consuming.

This is really kind of you. If you don't mind me asking: what would you actually get out of this, other than helping someone out?

Cheers
Jamie
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Hi Filbo

I've had a look through a few randomly-selected Emerald Mines levelsets but they seem to have the one key, one exit door issues. Next time you come across one that works properly as a two-player levelset, I'd be most grateful if you could post its name. I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers
Jamie
filbo

Post by filbo »

If I notice -- as I said, I don't play them 2P, just notice that they're set up to (apparently) work...
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Yo, Jamie,

Alright! I'll get started right away and I'll try to have it completed as soon as possible.
jm28121977 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:24 pm If you don't mind me asking: what would you actually get out of this, other than helping someone out?
What do I get out of it? Well, the only thing I wish out of making any public level set for anyone is that some one else other than me enjoys it to a great amount. If I can make you have fun with this 2 player level set, then I'll gladly make one, knowing my wish will come true.
Besides, making levels for me is fun! It's not a chore at all, and I've churned out a couple so far! So don't worry about motivation, okay?

Just one question: How do you want me to send the level set to you once I finished it? I'm afraid the file size of the level set folder will be too large to post on this forum thread, so I want to know if there are any other ways.

Have a good day, Jamie,
SlappyHappy2000 ;D
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Yo, SlappyHappy2000

Could you get it added to the collection of levels here: https://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/levels/ so that future players who are looking for two-player levels can download it?

I really appreciate you doing this, and am pleased to hear you'll get enjoyment out of it. I'll play the levels with my little son, so it'll make him very happy to have new levels as we've repeatedly played the two-player levelsets I've found to death.

Cheers
Jamie
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, please try first to upload your new two-player level set (once it's finished) to this forum as an attachment to your "announcement" post -- if you do not use huge amounts of custom artwork, attaching it should work just fine. :-)
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Yo, SlappyHappy2000

Did my private messages reach you? I'm worried they didn't because they're only showing in my Outbox folder and not my Sent folder.

Cheers
Jamie
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Yo, Jamie,

Here are the snapshots.
Attachments
One of the later stages, called "Composter" (title not final). Some stages will specifically be made to make you feel like you're exploring a world.
One of the later stages, called "Composter" (title not final). Some stages will specifically be made to make you feel like you're exploring a world.
Capture5.PNG (713.25 KiB) Viewed 11441 times
The menu with another stage called "Hall of 1000 Gates". This one requires you to make little error while still going fast!
The menu with another stage called "Hall of 1000 Gates". This one requires you to make little error while still going fast!
Capture4.PNG (287.49 KiB) Viewed 11441 times
Uneasy Transportation, which requires to become one with the walls to transport objects. It's probably the second stage.
Uneasy Transportation, which requires to become one with the walls to transport objects. It's probably the second stage.
Capture3.PNG (206.94 KiB) Viewed 11441 times
Cell City, which is one of the harder stages.
Cell City, which is one of the harder stages.
Capture2.PNG (689.16 KiB) Viewed 11441 times
The first stage, Teamwork Tower. It's much taller than it looks!
The first stage, Teamwork Tower. It's much taller than it looks!
Capture1.PNG (339.92 KiB) Viewed 11441 times
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

These look beautiful! This is very exciting!
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Yo, Jamie,

Here are the levels!:

001: Teamwork Tower
002: Cell City
003: Uneasy Transportation
004: Hall of 1000 Gates
005: Wasteland Facility (originally titled "Composter")
006: Metropolis (originally scrapped. this one had a few oddities, such as an incorrect gem count and a few walls that made the level impossible, now fixed)

Happy testing!
Attachments
Better Together (test version).zip
Happy testing!
(5.95 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Yo, SlappyHappy2000

I can't wait to test these. Frustratingly, I couldn't yesterday or today because the charger on my laptop died and the replacement isn't coming until tomorrow. I'm using a work machine which is locked down to the point that I can't install anything on it. :-(

I will play tomorrow and give you feedback tomorrow night.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Jamie x
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

Yo, SlappyHappy2000

Here's my feedback:

Teamwork Tower: Love the tower concept and the look of the level. Some really good cooperative elements.
Cell City: Love all the separate little rooms and the use of teamwork.
Uneasy Transportation: Nice idea but the "double push" bit is too hard. Kept failing on this part. Even when I controlled both players and moved them simultaneously, either the rock pushed off the player or he moved out of the way and the rock fell. I ended up editing the level to add an extra bit of wall so we could complete it i.e. I cheated! :oops:
Hall of 1000 Gates: Really pretty walls! Great idea, really frantic. I had to add 15 seconds to the time to complete it because it was a bit too fast for a 4-year-old. I'm not saying this should be changed in the actual level though as two adults or older kids could complete it in time.
Wasteland Facility: Clever use of one player rescuing another. Love the U-bend with the dynamite.
Metropolis: This should never have been scrapped. I lovely concept and great fun.

This has everything a great two-player levelset needs. Looking forward to the other 74 levels! :lol: Keep up the great work!

Cheers
Jamie