Share R'n'D Data Between Linux and Windows

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

BryanFRitt

Share R'n'D Data Between Linux and Windows

Post by BryanFRitt »

Is it possible to share Rocks'n'Diamonds data(levelsets, tapes, high scores, settings, etc...) between Linux and Windows on the same(or different) computer?
  • I've already got my computer set up so I can read/write files between the two.
  • Is it possible to make some links from one to another to get this working?
  • In Linux, I can see that there data in ~/.rocksndiamonds/ What's the equivalent spot in Windows?
  • Is it possible to merge the two if I have data in both?
    (Note: I'm sure it would be a good idea to back up data first)
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Share R'n'D Data Between Linux and Windows

Post by Holger »

Yes, that's indeed possible -- all versions of R'n'D use the same format and file names for stuff in the user data directory.

The only difference between different platforms is the name of the user data directory itself. The names of these directories can be found on the "Levels & Artwork" page of the R'n'D web site:

https://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/levels/

Code: Select all

Linux: 		~/.rocksndiamonds
Mac: 		Rocks’n’Diamonds (in your "Documents" folder)
Windows: 	Rocks’n’Diamonds (in your "Documents" folder)
Android: 	Android/data/org.artsoft.rocksndiamonds/files (in your device storage folder)
(Note: The name of your "Documents" folder may differ, because it is usually localized in the GUI.)

Files in these directories are completely interchangeable between the different platforms supported by R'n'D. You can also merge them (like copying over tape files, or "setup.conf" settings files, etc.).

Making backups before doing stuff is always a good idea. ;-)
filbo

Re: Share R'n'D Data Between Linux and Windows

Post by filbo »

Somewhere in Setup, could you add a 'your user data directory is here' -- editable field which doesn't actually allow you to change it, but lets you copy-paste it into other software? No, not fake editable field, just a display which, when hovered, says something like 'click to copy into paste buffer'