Stretching dynamic window for debug testing?

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Stretching dynamic window for debug testing?

Post by Eizzoux »

I might have mentioned before, but the point is that if I'm creating dynamic window, I can't really test it by myself without monitors, smartphones or tablets with different screen resolutions (4:3, 16:10, 16:9, 2:1 and etc.). Stretching the game window won't work since the game forces the game screen to stretch to the resolution corresponding to the device screen. I'll be honest with you, I don't have any devices with any different screen resolutions: computer has 16:9 monitor, laptop's screen resolution is 16:9, smartphone's screen is 5" with 16:9 resolution and that's it. I don't have anything else where I could test how game would look with minimal width and maximal width of the screen. Maybe there's any debug features I could use to stretch the game to any resolution no matter what resolution my device has?
strorig.png
strorig.png (351.82 KiB) Viewed 7893 times
strw.png
strw.png (274.73 KiB) Viewed 7893 times
strh.png
strh.png (211.32 KiB) Viewed 7893 times
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Stretching dynamic window for debug testing?

Post by Holger »

No, there's no such debug switch so far, but your request seems to be so obvious that I wonder why I did not think about this by myself when doing my own tests with dynamically sized windows. :shock:

Going even further, when using an artwork set that supports dynamically sized screens, there should (theoretically) be no reason to not just dynamically resize the game window's contents when the game window itself was resized (maybe not during a game just playing, but probably when in main menu, or the next time the screen changes, like from "PLAYING" to "MAIN" etc.).

This would really be a good thing -- I'll check if this could easily be implemented! :)

*edit*

Just as a side note: The screenshots above show a playfield viewport with a fixed-size background image (that yellow border). When using a dynamically sized playfield, this would not look correct, as the playfield background would not be resized, too, but only the playfield area. Therefore, using dynamically sized viewports will currently only look correct when using a black background... :?
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Holger wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:45 am Just as a side note: The screenshots above show a playfield viewport with a fixed-size background image (that yellow border). When using a dynamically sized playfield, this would not look correct, as the playfield background would not be resized, too, but only the playfield area. Therefore, using dynamically sized viewports will currently only look correct when using a black background... :?
Yeah, I know, but if you meant my screenshots, I actually handled this by myself, so playfield changing doesn't affect the border graphic here since the entire left panel including left part of playfield border and right side including right part of playfield border are door_1 and door_2 and original border graphic is just two straight yellow horizontal border lines and grey 2px wide line on the bottom.
andrvp_doors.png
andrvp_doors.png (673.26 KiB) Viewed 7888 times
andrvp_border.png
andrvp_border.png (16.18 KiB) Viewed 7888 times
But that's still problematic to make dynamic border graphic in some different conditions.
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

That's clever! :D