Mirror Magic 3.0.0 is a bit broken :)

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Mirror Magic 3.0.0 is a bit broken :)

Post by Eizzoux »

This Mirror Magic 3.0.0 release is a good revival for this good game, but it has many issues that kinda breaks it pretty bad:
1) Like in original game, we can now control cursor square to choose by D-pad buttons and hold the "Snap" button to rotate the mirrors (and Gregor McDuffin). But the problem is if you enter first level of Deflektor, the square is not aligned with game grid, and also if I press Snap button, it moves to the top left corner. I also can't click on mirrors with normal cursor. Now this game is cursed I'm just... not able to play Deflektor levels :(
2) All settings from Setup page are just from R'n'D, but with little changes.Entering the Input Devices... Oh my god, all 4 players from R'n'D, text going out of borders. "Editor" > Custom & Group elements... But you told me there will be no Custom elements :D . Game & Menu > "Game Engine Snapshot mode"... Every step? Ok. Every move? Ok. Every Collect... Ok, maybe this actually makes sense, but also kinda confuses me.
3) In editor we could see the mirrors only on 0° angle in editor palette in 2.0.2, and same with 3.0.0. Will all mirror angles be in palette listed in future updates or there will be some kind of rotation tool for that?
4) Rocks'n'diamonds, Emerald Mine and Supaplex engines in MM? *chooses R'n'D engine* Oh my goodness, so that's why these 4 players are in Input Controls in MM. Maybe now all this makes sense why all these issues (except the one about cursor square) I listed before are here. :D

So, that's like some kind of early access of this game?
I also checked new R'n'D 4.1.0.0, and R'n'D also has all MM elements... So, are these games going to be combined together as one game? I think that would be pretty much great if we even could somehow use Mirror Magic elements in R'n'D levels (I know, that breaks the rules of R'n'D's but I think there may be many ways to perform that kind of idea). But in other way, some elements in MM has same sprites as elements from R'n'D so, maybe, that could be not so good idea. :D
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Mirror Magic 3.0.0 is a bit broken :)

Post by Holger »

1) Like in original game, we can now control cursor square to choose by D-pad buttons and hold the "Snap" button to rotate the mirrors (and Gregor McDuffin). But the problem is if you enter first level of Deflektor, the square is not aligned with game grid, and also if I press Snap button, it moves to the top left corner. I also can't click on mirrors with normal cursor. Now this game is cursed I'm just... not able to play Deflektor levels :(
I know exactly what error you are talking about, because I fixed it yesterday right before packaging the game. :-o

Unfortunately, the Windows version of the game was packaged without this bugfix for whatever reason (seems that I have to check my build script), while the bug seems to be fixed for all other platforms.

I will repackage the game this evening and add a "please re-download" note for Windows users (again). :-(
2) All settings from Setup page are just from R'n'D
Right. Unfortunately, the "hide irrelevant setup options" code is not yet complete...
Entering the Input Devices... Oh my god, all 4 players from R'n'D, text going out of borders.
Yes, this screen looks nasty at the moment. Just hiding it does not work well, as you might need the game controller configuration screen when playing on Amazon Fire TV (which works great and it lot's of fun, btw)... Still to be fixed.
"Editor" > Custom & Group elements... But you told me there will be no Custom elements
Same thing here.
Game & Menu > "Game Engine Snapshot mode"... Every step? Ok. Every move? Ok. Every Collect... Ok, maybe this actually makes sense, but also kinda confuses me.
The wording is a bit odd indeed, but the functionality should work fine.
3) In editor we could see the mirrors only on 0° angle in editor palette in 2.0.2, and same with 3.0.0. Will all mirror angles be in palette listed in future updates or there will be some kind of rotation tool for that?
In 2.0.2, you could rotate them inside the editor palette! In 3.0.0, you can rotate them in the playfield by clicking on them again with the Shift key hold down, clicking with the left or right mouse button. (BTW: Drawing with pressed Shift key works for many elements. Try it with any conveyor belt element, for example.)

But for the mirrors, this does not make that much sense anyway, as they are randomly rotated after game startup.
4) Rocks'n'diamonds, Emerald Mine and Supaplex engines in MM? *chooses R'n'D engine* Oh my goodness, so that's why these 4 players are in Input Controls in MM. Maybe now all this makes sense why all these issues (except the one about cursor square) I listed before are here. :D
After all, it's just plain old Rocks'n'Diamonds, just with some customization via config files. But it's the same binary. :-)
So, that's like some kind of early access of this game?
It should be fine to play and create levels, but indeed it still has some rough edges... ;-)
I also checked new R'n'D 4.1.0.0, and R'n'D also has all MM elements... So, are these games going to be combined together as one game?
See above -- it is already the same game. :-D
I think that would be pretty much great if we even could somehow use Mirror Magic elements in R'n'D levels
This does not work, as these are different game engines. But it would indeed be nice! (Anyone still remembering the game "Sapphire Yours"?)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Unfortunately, the Windows version of the game was packaged without this bugfix for whatever reason (seems that I have to check my build script), while the bug seems to be fixed for all other platforms.

I will repackage the game this evening and add a "please re-download" note for Windows users (again).
Packages corrected! Please retry! :-)
RAP

Post by RAP »

I took a quick test of this, and the one thing I noticed compared to the previous versions is that the randomization is sped up to make retrying levels somewhat more faster, which is nice; however, the music immediately starts playing upon playing the level, rather than playing after the amount of fuel has been fueled upon entering the level. The music loses it's impact if it started early.

Other stuff:
  • In the "Input Devices" subsection in Setup, since it's taken directly from the Rocks'n'Diamonds engine, it all looks rough on the edges, with empty character spaces as soliid black blocks per say.
  • ...I think you used to rotate the items in the level editor by clicking one of the 3 selection boxes (I couldn't figure out how to change the angles when trying to make levels until I was older)...it doesn't work anymore!
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

RAP wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:51 am ...however, the music immediately starts playing upon playing the level, rather than playing after the amount of fuel has been fueled upon entering the level. The music loses it's impact if it started early.
Yeah, to be honest, starting music right after McDuffin's laser charges up.
RAP wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:51 am ...I think you used to rotate the items in the level editor by clicking one of the 3 selection boxes (I couldn't figure out how to change the angles when trying to make levels until I was older)...it doesn't work anymore!
You still can rotate them, Holger just said how to do that now.
Holger wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:01 pm In 2.0.2, you could rotate them inside the editor palette! In 3.0.0, you can rotate them in the playfield by clicking on them again with the Shift key hold down, clicking with the left or right mouse button. (BTW: Drawing with pressed Shift key works for many elements. Try it with any conveyor belt element, for example.)

But for the mirrors, this does not make that much sense anyway, as they are randomly rotated after game startup.

Btw, about that fix: thanks Holger, that now works fine. But, there's another problem: I can't rotate anything with mouse. Clicking with LMB and RMB does nothing. I decided to check Touch controls page and...I almost died in laugther because of that: I chose "Follow finger" and, somehow, it follows my mouse. Holding on rotatable element and moving the cursor around it which makes it rotate depending on mouse position. That's so clever I was laughing at that without any reasons. Yeah, sorry :mrgreen:
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

the music immediately starts playing upon playing the level, rather than playing after the amount of fuel has been fueled upon entering the level. The music loses it's impact if it started early.
Good point! I'll have a look at that again!
ACME

Post by ACME »

Holger wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:01 pm
Anyone still remembering the game "Sapphire Yours"?
Yes, I just played the game a few days ago. :)
An old and forgotten 2000 game... but is amazing that works set to 1920x1080 which is great for larger levels.
Sapphire_Yours_2021-06-07.png
Sapphire_Yours_2021-06-07.png (472.76 KiB) Viewed 2412 times