amoeba grows too fast

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

greyhead

amoeba grows too fast

Post by greyhead »

regardless of "game speed". how can I set the growth rate of amoeba?
Holger
Site Admin

Re: amoeba grows too fast

Post by Holger »

In the level editor, select the amoeba element, click "properties", click "config", then change growth speed! :-)
greyhead

Post by greyhead »

but I can't save changes because "level is reаd only" :|
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yep, that's right for all level sets included in the distribution package, and it's for the following reason: If you upgrade to a new version, it overwrites the old version, which would also overwrite your changed levels. Besides that, user data should generally not be written to the program installation directory, but to the user's home directory.

But of course you can edit those levels if you want; just do either of the following two:

1. The quick and dirty way:

Ignore the "read only" warning when entering the level editor, edit the level and press "save". You are now asked if the modified level should be added to your personal level set. This is useful for testing things with single level files, but probably not for systematically changing levels in a complete set. (Besides this, there are still some minor quirks with that approach, like not changing the current level set to your personal level set after saving, which would probably be a good idea.)

2. The more systematic way:

Just copy that whole level set from the program's "levels" sub-directory to your personal "levels" sub-directory inside your personal R'n'D directory (look at the "Download" page for some more details where to find it). You should rename the level set directory, as it is used as some sort of "primary key" when running the game. So simply do something like renaming "classic_sokoban" to "my_classic_sokoban", for example. You might also want to edit the "levelinfo.conf" file inside that directory, to change the line "name: Sokoban" to something like "My Sokoban", for example -- just to make it easier to identify the new level set inside the game.

Hope that works for you! :-)
filbo

Post by filbo »

(I find the idea of Sokoban levels with amoeba frightening... : )
filbo

Post by filbo »

(perhaps also somewhat intriguing...)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Now that I think about it... yes, "Sokoban" was a bad example in this context! :-D
greyhead

Post by greyhead »

thanks!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

P.S.:

I was reminded that there is a third way to edit "read only" levels, and although I do not recommend it for the reasons mentioned in my post with the two other solutions to the problem, I will add it here for the sake of completeness:

3. The quick and even more dirty way:

Add a line "readonly: false" to the file "levelinfo.conf" of the level set you want to edit.

But as said, I would recommend solution "2". :-)