Unsolvable levels

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

Unsolvable levels

Post by Martijn »

Hello everybody!

Can we make a review of all levelsets, whether they are solvable or not? Then we can fix it together (manually).

About the original boulderdash: why are some levels unsolvable? It was an original non-freeware game! Such games are correct, I suppose? Was there anything wrong with the conversion or so??
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

> About the original boulderdash: why are some levels unsolvable?

All Original BD-Levels are solveable in R'n'D, but some of them not the same way as in original Boulderdash.

Have a look on Bojster's Tape Workshop to find tapes for all of them.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Note that the tapes were recorded with 3.0.8 engine and I don't guarantee they will all work in 3.1.0. If you decide to test them, please let me know about the broken ones (if any).
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

I checked your boulder-dash-tapes using the autoplay function and found out that only 80 levels are solved in 3.1.0 as well as in 3.0.8:

LEVELDIR 'classic_boulderdash', SOLVED 80/100 (80%), FAILED: 012 016 019 026 031 032 056 066 070 076 078 081 082 085 090 091 094 096 097 099

I checked a few of them and it looks like you recorded those with the time-limit turned of, so they may solve the level but not in the given time...
richard

Post by richard »

Bojster's Tape Workshop
Fury... oh well, I created the name "Tape Workshop" and not Bojster, I made the topic ! :evil:
Anyways... yeah, hmmm... it´s all the same for me... keep the name if you want. :lol:
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Flumminator wrote:> About the original boulderdash: why are some levels unsolvable?

All Original BD-Levels are solveable in R'n'D, but some of them not the same way as in original Boulderdash.

Have a look on Bojster's Tape Workshop to find tapes for all of them.
nonono... levels --> boulderdash --> boulderdash 16 --> level 001 is NOT SOLVABLE!!!

And I'm also talking about contributions.

Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

Yes. That one isn't.

But this is not original Boulderdash. Afaik there were 4 Bouldersash games.

The last one contained a level editor and like with emerald mine there were people distrubiting their own levels an I suppose that series is converted fom one of those. So it's not a commercial product.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Flumminator wrote:I checked your boulder-dash-tapes using the autoplay function and found out that only 80 levels are solved in 3.1.0 as well as in 3.0.8:

LEVELDIR 'classic_boulderdash', SOLVED 80/100 (80%), FAILED: 012 016 019 026 031 032 056 066 070 076 078 081 082 085 090 091 094 096 097 099

I checked a few of them and it looks like you recorded those with the time-limit turned of, so they may solve the level but not in the given time...
Might be so, I'll try to fix them later.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Bojster, you already have a site with it? If everyone takes his or her part, we don't have problems anymore with the levels! Maybe we can download the old boulderdash version somewhere, so we can see what it has to be.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Richard wrote:Fury... oh well, I created the name "Tape Workshop" and not Bojster, I made the topic ! :evil:
Richard... Please don't be childish... :roll:
richard

Post by richard »

Richard... Please don't be childish...
Hey !! Read that:
Anyways... yeah, hmmm... it´s all the same for me...
...And it wasn´t "such a real problem" for me, oh well... I just wanted to notice that... :x
bojster

Post by bojster »

Almost all BD tapes fixed now, only number 96 to do...
Anyway, why is this thread in "Game, Level and Graphic Designers"? Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter much... Back to tape recording.

OK, all tapes fixed, available at the usual place. Could you check it now, just in case?
bojster

Post by bojster »

Martijn wrote:Bojster, you already have a site with it? If everyone takes his or her part, we don't have problems anymore with the levels! Maybe we can download the old boulderdash version somewhere, so we can see what it has to be.
Yes, I have a site on which you can download any of my tapes if you wish (if that's what you mean). It's available at http://roger4.net/~bojster/rnd/
And I think I have the original Boulder Dash on my Amiga, but I believe Holger knows what it has to be.
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Hold on, let me check my old patch...

FULL LIST OF FIXES
Classic Original Games:
* Supaplex, Level 24 (gravity port changed to regular port)
[ignore that one, now, heh]

Boulderdash:
* Boulderdash II, Level 7 (set amoeba growth to a non-zero value. How embarrasing...)
* XBD, Level 10 (amoeba slowed down to 2 instead of 4)

Emerald Mine Club:
* Ami Dasher, Level 61 (added an exit. Seemed more like an error message rather than a level...)
* Baby Ghost Mine, Level 0 (a door and a wall no longer seem to be swapped ;) )
* Beer Mine, Level 1 (seems like (somebody thought that?) acid could be exploded by bombs, but not dynamite. Corrected in a way that preserves the "puzzle".)
* Bond Mine 5, level 37 (increased duration of magic wall)
* Bond Mine 9, level 61 (moved players a square farther away. Technically only impossible on some systems, but oh well.)
* Bond Mine 11, level 39 (adjusted big column of bombs to make it blow up what it should blow up)
* Boulderdash C64 1-4, Level 70 (magic wall time extended to 125)
* Easy Ruppelmine, Level 6 (added dirt in yam pattern)
* Emerald Mine 2, All Levels (fixed utterly broken acid pools)
* Emerald Mine 3, Level 1 (fixed yam contents)
* Emerald Mine Tutorial 2, Level 37 & 42 (same problem)
* Fun Mines, Level 1 (reduced emerald requirement by 3)
* Into the Cold Caves, Level 1 (added dirt to prevent rock from falling off wheel right off the bat)
* Into the History Holes, Level 1 (replaced yam-yams with pacmen and acid with dead amoeba (yes, the original level was THAT wierd))

DX Boulderdash:
* ALL SETS: Fixed vast amounts of empty levels. You may safely delete any level files that are no longer part of the level set, as they are actually empty. See below for details.
* No One 1-3, Level 3 (butterflies turned into fireflies)
* Manfred Tausch, All levels (reduced emerald requirements to account for the fact that nuts DON'T become diamonds.)
* Peter Broadrib, Level 1 (changed ?'s into trap dirt thingies. Not sure if that's what they're supposed to be, but hey, it's solvable now)

Contributions 1995-2000:
* Ben Braithwaite, level 50 (there were two ways to fix this, one resulting in a harder puzzle than the other. The Zip file contains both. To play the harder puzzle, get rid of 050.level and rename "hard 050.level" to 050.level.)
* Holger Schemel, Level 30 (added content to amoeba)
* Holger Schemel, Level 44 (added an exit)
* Holger Schemel, Level 58 (cleared space around the exit)
* Martin Hermann, level 10 (added exit)
* Pavel Machek, level 1 (changed amoeba's contents from empty to emeralds)
* Stebytes Worlds, level 1 (protected exit from explosions. Also edited level count to proper size)
* Tobias Authmann, level 12 (added exit)
* Visa Hastrup, level 0 (added exit)
* Visa Hastrup, level 14 (added exit)
* Visa Hastrup, level 15 (increased duration of magic wall)

Contributions 2001:
* Arno Luppold, level 11 (exit added)
* Glenn Alexander, level 4 (reduced diamonds needed by 60)
* Paul Sutton, level 1 (put an exit in the box with the penguin)
* Paul Sutton, level 2 (completed incomplete level ^_^)

Contributions 2002:
* Jerome Kunegis, level 30 (changed blue and green doors to red and yellow doors)
* Rüdiger Schäfer, Level 11 (added exit)

Contributions 2003:
* Audrius Saukunas, level 1 (finished programming)
* Richard Valvona, level 3 (green door made passable)
* Sam Bateman, level 29 (prevented amoeba from escaping and blocking off path)

As stated above, the following files from Boulderdash DX are empty, and may be safely deleted from levels\DX_Boulderdash\ after the "installation":
* dx_abd\[020-099].level
* dx_bd4\[080-099].level
* dx_dc2classic\[061-099].level
* dx_firefox1\[080-099].level
* dx_forgottenmine1\[081-099].level
* dx_manfred_tausch\[030-099].level
* dx_martin_brentnall\[023-099].level
* dx_no_one_1-3\[060-099].level
* dx_no_one_4-6\[060-099].level
* dx_peter_broadribb\[024-099].level
* dx_tutorial\[021-099].level

LEVELS I WON'T BE FIXING
* DX-Boulderdash, Martin Brentnall, Level 0 (Martin himself said that the whole set depends highly on the quirks of DX-Boulderdash, so it's probably better to wait until some 99% compatable engine is installed.)
* DX-Boulderdash, Tutorial, Level 19 (A missing feature from the original Supaplex.)
* Contributions 2002, Gerrit Holl, level 16 (It's not just a random battle arena, all the levels from here on are designed for 2 players (and later, 4), and there's a lot more battle arenas. Just hack your handicap setting.)
--------------

Also, the other one I remember is Supaplex Level 93, due to a remaining incompatability.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Good work!
I hope Holger will apply your fixes to the 'official' level packs.