My levelset- 150 levels!

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Gavin

My levelset- 150 levels!

Post by Gavin »

I proudly present 150 levels I have made over the past 16 years! :D

Note the level zip is 136MB because it uses higher quality extended music than the original game which I recommend.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iodclhv78ve6b ... s.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwmcvf30ekstm ... s.zip?dl=0
ACME

Re: My levelset- 150 levels!

Post by ACME »

Both links are dead... and I didn't found these in Contributions.
filbo

Post by filbo »

I have copies ... can make available, not today
ACME

Post by ACME »

Not today not tomorrow but someday :)
filbo

Post by filbo »

I'm not sure how Holger (or this bbs software) feels about 100+MB uploads. I repackaged it from .zip(143M) to .7z(111M); then converted the .wav music files to 320Kbps .mp3, giving a final archive size of 18M. But not what the original author intended.

So, not sure what to upload...
ACME

Post by ACME »

Last edited by ACME on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Just played these. :) Several levels require quite a bit of thinking things through, and/or require noticing things that maybe easily missed.

Bugs/Comments/Ideas:

Tapes were helpful in solving several of these levels. Perhaps they could also be built in with the ':ist' trick. (type in ':ist' without ' ', and the built in tape will be the active tape.)

151 though 200 show up as the same level and '[NO FILE]'. (Same level as level 70)

Sometimes the level view would start at the top left instead of where it's supposed to start, then the view wouldn't move until player shows up in the view. Doesn't get fixed until exiting/restarting R'n'D, even then sometimes will mess up right away anyway. I've seen this happen on other levelsets as well.

On my system it's only my high scores, and no one else's, and I don't see any completions/high scores for this levelset showing up in api.artsoft.org.
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

First of all, I haven't had a look at Gavin's level set since 2016, but just uploaded the levels and tapes archives "as is". So there's probably indeed some room for improvement for a seamless playing experience. :-)
Tapes were helpful in solving several of these levels. Perhaps they could also be built in with the ':ist' trick. (type in ':ist' without ' ', and the built in tape will be the active tape.)
Yep, right. I assume that Gavin did not directly package the solution tapes in a "tapes" sub-directory within the level set directory to make "cheating" a little bit harder. However, to make the ":ist" (or ":insert-solution-tape") trick work, just copy the tapes directory from the tapes archive as a folder "tapes" into the level set directory, and it will work instantly.
151 though 200 show up as the same level and '[NO FILE]'. (Same level as level 70)
OK, that could easily be fixed by adjusting the value in file "levelinfo.conf".

I think I should re-package Gavin's level set to apply the two fixes mentioned above.
Sometimes the level view would start at the top left instead of where it's supposed to start, then the view wouldn't move until player shows up in the view. Doesn't get fixed until exiting/restarting R'n'D, even then sometimes will mess up right away anyway. I've seen this happen on other levelsets as well.
Oops! That sounds strange, and definitely sounds like a bug in R'n'D! Is there anything special with levels where this happens, like a delayed appearance of the player in the level using custom elements? Are there any similarities like this when compared to those level sets where you also encountered that bug? If there is any way to reproduce this buggy behavior, it would be very helpful to fix this bug!
On my system it's only my high scores, and no one else's, and I don't see any completions/high scores for this levelset showing up in api.artsoft.org.
Indeed I haven't added this level set to the score server yet; I'll do that, and reprocess existing score tapes, so they will then show up in both the game and on the API server's web page. (I still have to add a number of other level sets that were released in the forum, which are also still missing on the score server.)
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Holger wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:26 am
Oops! That sounds strange, and definitely sounds like a bug in R'n'D! Is there anything special with levels where this happens, like a delayed appearance of the player in the level using custom elements? Are there any similarities like this when compared to those level sets where you also encountered that bug? If there is any way to reproduce this buggy behavior, it would be very helpful to fix this bug!
This bug occurs, If say the view was placed in the top left of the level, and the starting point in the level of the player isn't in this view.

In trying to recreate this bug, it seems to occur when combining having had restored a tape on a level, and then starting the level fresh on the same level for the levels where it occurs, or vice versa?

[ note: messy notes below ]

There maybe some I missed, mainly trying levels where it looks like this may occur. (skipping levels that didn't look like this bug would show up)
In going back through these levels I got it to happen on levels 15, 17, 18, 20, 23, 30, 33, 36, 39*, 40, 45, 51, 52*, 53, 56, 57, 59, 60, 71*,... ** for starting fresh after playing a tape, or

70 for playback after starting fresh. (probably should test more this way as well)

* the level view is starts off in top left of level with the player still in view, but the view is off from where it should be.

** Doesn't seem to be happening on level 68, or 69, 86, 104, where view fits either x xor y, ok maybe that's not it?
Doesn't seem to be happening on 73, 81, 91, 94, 101, 103, 106, 107*** 108, 109, 116, 118, 132, 133, 134, 135, 139, 141, 142, 145, 147, 148, 149, 150, either, luck?, what's different about these levels, these look like the error would occur here too? Maybe my guess as to what the issue is at least somewhat wrong? Did it quit happening? (went back and tried 15 again, bug still occurs)

*** level 107, I'm sure I've seen this bug happen on this level earlier (or at least one that looks highly like it)
Update: Later tried level 107 again and the bug happened this time, weird. Does order of attempts to either start fresh, or replay a level matter? What's different about these attempts than the previous ones? Two bugs in one?

Perhaps chatting about this bug should be put in a separate thread? I don't mind it being separated it out.
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

It's easier to recreate the issue on levels <= 69 than it is on levels > 69.

For levels <= 69, after a R'n'D restart, just replay the tape, then try to play from start.
For levels >69, after getting the bug in another level, try to get the bug here.

The level that is shown in 151-200 is level 70, could this be related?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I think I should re-package Gavin's level set to apply the two fixes mentioned above.
I was reminded by this thread that I still wanted to re-package that level set. Here it is:

https://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/rocksn ... ls/Gav.zip

It's only ~400 KB instead of the ~140 MB of the original package, but lacks all those ultra-large, high quality WAV file versions of the classic music from historic game versions that I removed because of potential copyright problems a long time ago.

However, I wasn't able (or haven't tried yet, not sure) to reproduce those viewport problems as described by BryanFRitt. I'll do that now...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

For levels <= 69, after a R'n'D restart, just replay the tape, then try to play from start.
Just did that for levels 15, 17, 18 and 20, but wasn't able to reproduce the problem. :|
No, I don't think so; this is just the level template that is shown (for an otherwise missing level file).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I have added Gavin's level set "Gav" to the high score server now, and reprocessed all corresponding tape files, so now you are not alone anymore. :wink:
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Holger wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:47 pm
Just did that for levels 15, 17, 18 and 20, but wasn't able to reproduce the problem. :|
No, I don't think so; this is just the level template that is shown (for an otherwise missing level file).
Just tried to recreate this bug again. Using my saves, and I couldn't recreate the bug. But I got the bug again by playing back someone else's saves. (Tried and got the bug with their saves for 15, 17, 18, 20, 23, 57, 59, 60, ... )