? old style non-smooth boulder dash movement ?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

netjiro

? old style non-smooth boulder dash movement ?

Post by netjiro »

Is there any way to switch to the old snappy/direct/"not smooth" movement of the C64 Boulder Dash, where a move or dig was immediate on input and not smoothly animated? There is something about the smoothness that doesn't feel right to me. I thought I'd get used to it but I guess I had too many hours of the original C64 BD in my childhood and hence am irredeemably broken.
Eizzoux

Re: ? old style non-smooth boulder dash movement ?

Post by Eizzoux »

You need to write in graphicsinfo for each element [element].[action].[direction].2nd_tile_Movement: true
This row will make element use two animated parts for each game tiles. For example, BD84 by Alan Bond uses this behavior. When something is moving the first line becomes empty because it uses empty sprites while second tile uses walking animation of Rockford.
Also some more 2nd tile rows that I'd found in conf_gfx:
2nd_offset, 2nd_xoffset, 2nd_yoffset, 2nd_swap_tiles.
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Hello netjiro, welcome to the forum! :-)
Is there any way to switch to the old snappy/direct/"not smooth" movement of the C64 Boulder Dash, where a move or dig was immediate on input and not smoothly animated?
Well... sort of. :-)

Have a look at Alan Bond's great "BD84" conversion of that classic C64 game for R'n'D: http://ambience.artsoft.org/

Download one of the Zip archives from there (there are two different color sets to match the original C64 colors as close as possible), extract it into your levels directory (have a look at the "Levels & Artwork" page for details), and select the level set "BD84" in the "levelset" menu!

It should be possible to create a graphics set based on the BD84 graphics somehow like Eizzoux described (although it's probably not *that* trivial, and wouldn't contain those nice game-startup element animations (game elements that are randomly uncovered), as this was all created using custom elements).
netjiro

Post by netjiro »

Thanks guys, now I have somewhere to start :)