Widescreen mode [800x560]

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Widescreen mode [800x560]

Post by Eizzoux »

Hey, guys! I red the topic "R'n'D in widescreen" and decided to make this as a custom graphic artwork! :D
But in works bad with Emerald Mine engine :(

Version: 3.2.6.0 and above

Screenshots:

Installation:
  • 1. Unzip archive
  • 2. Copy folder "gfx_widescreen_2014_by_eizzx" to "...\<R'n'D folder>\graphics\"
  • 3. Open R'n'D, enter "Setup>Custom Artwork>Custom Graphics"
  • 4. Choose "Widescreen mode [800x560]"
  • 5. Save&Exit
  • 6. Restart the game
  • 7. Play 8)
Download
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone!

Holger
Site Admin

Re: Widescreen mode [800x560]

Post by Holger »

Hi Eizzoux!

Yes, this works great! :-)

The next release version will contain more of these options to define different-sized screens and playfields. (In fact, these configuration definitions are still considered "unofficial" in the current R'n'D version, so there may be things that won't work exactly the same in the next release version. But your artwork set works fine in my current working version.)

> But in works bad with Emerald Mine engine :(

Unfortunately, yes. And it's still the same in the current development version. I'll have a look at it...
filbo

Post by filbo »

Will we be able to drag the corner of a window [or whatever the local window manager's "resize window" action is] and thus change the number of viewed playfield cells? That would be nice.

I see you now have original and half-size tiles. Any possibility of creating arbitrary tile sizes? You could do that automatically by applying a "zoom" function to whichever existing tile size is closer to the target -- or possibly even by interpolating between the two sizes. In that case, "drag / resize" could mean "keep same number of displayed cells, but resize the tiles to fit".

So then you'd want to have a toggle in the UI -- a widget that switches between "keep the same layout" and "keep the same tile size" when I resize the window.

On the other hand if you keep just the two fixed tile sizes, window resize should always mean "change cell layout"; then the UI could have a toggle to switch between small and large tiles (thus doubling / halving the cell layout in each direction).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Will we be able to drag the corner of a window [or whatever the local window manager's "resize window" action is] and thus
> change the number of viewed playfield cells? That would be nice.

That would indeed be nice! Unfortunately, as there are border graphics around the playfield, this is not easily possible without breaking the border graphics. Currently dragging the corner of a window just scales it (keeping the aspect ratio), but does not result in more/less game cells/tiles to be displayed on the playfield.

> I see you now have original and half-size tiles. Any possibility of creating arbitrary tile sizes? You could do that automatically
> by applying a "zoom" function to whichever existing tile size is closer to the target -- or possibly even by interpolating
> between the two sizes. In that case, "drag / resize" could mean "keep same number of displayed cells, but resize the tiles to
> fit".

That's currently done when resizing. But it is also possible now to define arbitrary tile sizes now, like this (to be defined in "graphicsinfo.conf" of a custom level set or artwork set):

Code: Select all

game.tile_size          = 64

custom_1                = image.pcx
custom_1.tile_size      = 128
While "<element>.tile_size: <n>" specifies the graphical size of the artwork for a certain element tile as stored in the image file, "game.tile_size: <m>" defines the pixel size of game element tiles in the playfield. The example above loads a 128x128 pixel sized graphic and scales it down to 64x64, while all other tile graphics are loaded as usual in 32x32 format and will be scaled up to 64x64, too.

> So then you'd want to have a toggle in the UI -- a widget that switches between "keep the same layout" and "keep the same
> tile size" when I resize the window.

Something like that would be cool (and not entirely impossible, although deforming the border graphics).
Eizzoux

Widescreen update

Post by Eizzoux »

Updated Widescreen gfx set for 4.1.1.0
wide1.png
wide1.png (255.81 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
wide2.png
wide2.png (296.57 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
59129420__gfx_widescreen_4110upd_by_tog__82392101.rar
Download
(5.89 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone!