artsoft.org & Quicktime?

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Davacardo

artsoft.org & Quicktime?

Post by Davacardo »

I noticed today that whenever I visited any page on artsoft.org (except the forums), Spybot tells me Quicktime is trying to add itself to my startup registry entries!

Is Quicktime necessary for the pages or something? If not, I was just wondering why it's there, and if it could possibly be removed...
Forty-niner

Post by Forty-niner »

Well, I have Spybot and it says nothing. That's all I can say about this...
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I don't think QuickTime is needed for anything on this web site.

On Windows, installations of the QuickTime web browser plug-in seem to place a startup program in the registry called "QuickTime Task" that runs '"C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime.' This is normal and does not indicate a problem.
[more information about qttask.exe]

What web browser are you using to view http://www.artsoft.org? Does QuickTime still try to add itself to the registry if JavaScript is disabled?
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

Yep, qttask.exe was the thing being placed in the registry. I know it's normal, but the less stuff being run on startup, the better.

Web browser is IE 7. Not sure about Javascript, cause I'm not using the computer in question right now, but I'll check later. It's interesting cause I've never seen it pop up before on a website, and everytime I went to an artsoft page or refreshed it, I'd get another warning.

I don't get any warnings on my laptop (which I'm using now), but that's probably cause I don't have QuickTime installed on it.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I don't think QuickTime is needed for anything on this web site.

Right -- you don't need any special plug-in or extension to view the (very plain old HTML) artsoft site.