The World Making Challenge

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

Post by Francesco »

My warparound technique has been released before that the option "player moves" became available - this option is used by Alan's warparound technique, and is better because it needs less CEs.
By the way, it can be found in Zelda.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

http://www.bd-fans.com/Files/RnD/Levels ... ling_2.zip
but the version in Zelda will probably better suite your needs.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Very well... It's here: http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=370

Now with 9 rooms, warparound, and well... it seems to be working :)
However, there's some issues with what is placed in the sectors, but that's just a design issue. For example, if there's a wall on the place you end up if you go to another room - there should be a wall preventing you from doing a warparound at that spot.

And by the way... I'm using 21 Custom Elements and one Group Element.

And here are some techniques I consider worth implementing in this level somehow, but haven't bothered to do so:
Maze generator - To create dynamic maze rooms
Random Levels - To create dynamic rooms of other style
Output Number of Limited Items - To keep a variable of how many emeralds there should be left in a room (variable could be stored in that rooms CE value/score) (This would have been nice to see in Zelda to keep an eye on how many enemies you've killed in a room)
Locate nth instance - Not quite sure how it could be used, but I'm sure it could be used somehow...
And of course, maybe some puzzles would me cool :D

Tell me what you think :) I think I've forgot to mention a CE bug or something... but I don't remember what it was...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Something like that you get killed if you hold the direction key during a warp. The entrance to the room should be forbidden until the room creation is complete, because the creator elements are quite harmful...
Well done, nonetheless.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Ah, thanks for reminding me... I've fixed all bugs now.
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=370

I'm also thinking about a teleporting system to teleport player from room 3 to room 7 for example. Wouldn't be too hard I think. (A good way to do this would be to change the change condition of the room ces to "Change by page of finished detector" or something and then using a ce value change of finished detector when entering a room-ce, and place those room ces on the map.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Ouch, just discovered a strange bug...
When walking down at the bottom-left corner or walking right at the up-right corner, the level gets cleared but no new room appears. This is probably because when you walk those ways, you end up at the top left corner where the new CE for creating the now room should appear. Even though it's set to "replace when walkable" and the new CE to place is walkable - the player teleporter which is already at the spot is not walkable. So how to solve this?
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Maybe I have a workaround. Why teleport the player into the upper-left corner? Teleport him to a special screen that says "Loading, please wait..." and maybe a hourglass animation (e.g. "extra time" element from BD2K3?;)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Because the player needs to be placed in the upper-left corner sooner or later, since that's the position he should be placed in when he enters the new room. Any workarounds are welcome :)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I didn't have enough time to try the level yet, so I don't know how does it work, so I don't entirely understand what do you mean, but when I'll play it, I'll hopefully understand it and be able to suggest better workarounds.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I made another version of the world maker - with prevention of the bug I mentioned earlier.
I developed it a little and played around a bit, and I think that this room-switching thing can be used for a lot of puzzling features :D

http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=595
It still has many undeveloped areas though...:roll:
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

So, I finally got the time to stop working on... RnD related projects and look at your solution, Zomis. Well, what can I say? It's great, and works perfectly. I hope someone soon makes levelsets using it. (Even I may, if I'll have the time...) Actually, to create (or at least, to help create or to suggest to create) something like this was my goal/dream since I started with CEs after playing Game Inside. So I'm really glad that it's possible to do it with current CE functions.

One more thing: the warparound is great. I didn't like that in the original one teleportation and such tricks weren't possible, but this one is just wonderful. When I saw it, I thought something like "that's how it is meant to be".

BTW, I currently don't have any more assignments ready yet, so if anyone has an idea for one, feel free post it!
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Thanks, Tomi :) I must say I'm pretty much impressed myself :)
It's good thing that you posted these assignments, so I had a good reason to work on the RnD Scripter, I don't think I could live without it :)

Do you have any solution to the warparound problem? I haven't come up with any I think... or maybe... *hmm* maybe those warparound elements could dig the border, place the temporary player in the border and then put him where he should be... :idea: Well, I'll see if I can experimate with that more...

By the way... using this technique, it's possible to make 256-15+1=242 rooms, each with 15*15 content. While the 128x128 layout of RnD only allows approx 72 of these rooms ;)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I don't completely understand which warparound problem do you mean, but probably because I didn't try the development versions before this one. Try to remind me what do you mean and when does it happen.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

If you look at http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=595 you see that 4 border elements have been replaced with steel wall. Replace all of them with the border element and walk out from a room on the ones which does NOT appear in the top left corner. Then you see that the technique gets freezed. This is because no "room initialization" takes place, because where the pre-room initialization CE is to be created is already occupied by the "Player teleporter" element. And since two elements can't be at the same spot at the same time, the machine is freezed.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

What about this:

Finished detector creates Custom element 19 under itself, not in the bottom-right corner. It also sets wind direction to right.
Custom element 19 can move in wind direction even faster, and can dig player teleporter and change it into element triggering change. After delay 2 frames, it sets wind direction to down. When it touches empty space at the bottom, it changes into room initialization.

Not tested yet, but I think it could work.
EDIT: I confirm that it doesn't work. I don't know why, but custom element 19 refuses to dig the player teleporter. Btw I already modified the solution so it doesn't need wind direction. Still working on it (for now).