Good times, bad times...

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

Good times, bad times...

Post by Francesco »

I had long periods when everything was going just fine, but those days seem quite far, today.

I spent the whole weekend reassembling an old AMD K7 500 - to use it while the assistance is checking my laptop - I've been able to install both Mandriva and WinXP on that old piece of junk, and they seemed to work pretty well... too bad that after just one day, even that PC refuses to boot again.

Somebody should have cast a spell on my hardware... now I am really on my own, I can barely use the PC I have here at work to connect to internet, and I am thinking about having a break from ones and zeroes and throwing some cases out of the window.

Well, you don't really have to care, I only had to unload my anger somewhere :evil:
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Wow, I don't think that I've ever seen Francesco use that emoticon before! :!:

I hope that your general computer situation gets better in not too long... :(
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

As soon as you can get a working computer under your fingers again, play some levels of DOOM in ultra violence mode -- this might help a bit! =;-)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Thank you for your words... today is the independence day in the US, and it made me think about the fact that I am a bit too addicted to computers... maybe this pause will help me somehow.

As I wrote above, I do have a working PC in front of me, and I could install anything on it, if I like - as some of you might know/remember, I have a retail shop and I work on my own - but I can't risk messing things.

Well, at least I can still connect to the internet, even if I can not stay logged for a long time, because I offer the FAX service to my customers, so I have to keep the phone line free for incoming calls...

After all, I am still angry, but that's a happy anger :twisted: ;)
Francesco
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Uhuhuh ahahah ahrrr :twisted:

I can't believe my eyes, I am posting from home!

I have been able to reboot the old piece of junk... the memory bank had some kind of false contact - at least I think so, because I have disconnected every single peripheral one by one to locate the problem, and the system ran OK only after I polished the memory bank's contacts.

I feel a bit tired, at the moment, but I am very very happy :D
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

So a happy ending then, woot! :-)

(nice avatar btw)

Your piece of junk can't be as bad as mine.....PII 128MB ram, just about surf the net (and some sites kill it dead, like youtube)

*tries to ignore Independence day remark, being British*
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Yes, definitely a happy ending!

Hope my new avatar won't frighten anyone, I am not a dual-personality fellow like Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, I am simply Mr. Hyde ;)

About the "independence" issue, I must say that I didn't think about the "independence from what/who" part... even if, being that Romans controlled the whole Europe, and being that Romans had Etrurian kings, and also being that Etrurians had Sardinian kings, I feel like I have lost a world of colonies, and that fest should hurt me just like it should hurt you - that should be no hurt for either, I hope ;)

Hey, now that I have fixed the diplomatic incident with the British Empire, I hope I won't have to fix the flames with the secessionists too ;)

(Fixed the incident??? Maybe I have set to base a big big flame, but... you know, I feel evil and twisted using this reborn PC... I have spent the whole night creating a program with only macros, arrays, pointers and gotos :twisted: ahr ahr ahr)
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

:lol:
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

This reminds me how crappy most computers are built nowadays, compared to those nice, sturdy C64's :wink: .
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Alan

Post by Alan »

This reminds me how crappy most computers are built nowadays, compared to those nice, sturdy C64's
Except for the restore key ;-)