RnD-Wiki shut down

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Flumminator

RnD-Wiki shut down

Post by Flumminator »

Hello everybody,

I haven't been around here for quite some time.

To make a long story short: I've closed the RnD-Wiki previously hosted by me.

I was getting annoyed by having to do 1-2 page reverts a day because of spammer while no "real" content had been edited/added for months.

The question now is: has it still been used or not? Reading the logfiles, the vast majority of requests has been done my search engine crawlers, but once in a while, a regular guest has been looking for something.

The question now is: is there still a demand for the wiki or wouldn't you have noticed its vanishing at all if it wasn't for this post here?

(If there are some people who want it back, i will put it online again and revert the spam every day, as i was doing the last weeks)
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hi Flumminator,
we had not the occasion to speak about it, mostly because I didn't contact you.

When I started writing the documentation, I've shared some pre-releases with Holger and with some users of the forum, and I've been suggested to merge my work with the already existing RnD-wiki.

I was skeptic at the time, I imagined that it would have needed more work to keep spammers away than to keep the documentation up-to-date, and according to your words, seems I guessed right.

Personally, I have no aim to be the sole and only maintainer of the documentation, and it would be very, very nice if different RnD users give their contribution to that documentation.

I vote for re-opening the wiki and adding all of my work, to be extended and kept to date by anyone who likes - but only if it does not mean that someone else, like you, has to be "forced" to check it daily to keep it clean.

If the wiki will be restored, I'll do my best to merge my documentation and to keep the wiki clean, but I can't assure a continuous help on the second point... seems like I'll have some problems to log on the internet very often, during the next months.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Maybe more people could agree to help check the wiki once in a while to be sure that spam gets removed...
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I Flummi, long time no see! Good to see you here!

I actually had subscribed on all .* pages on the RnD-wiki, so I got a mail each time you or a bot made a change. And indeed it really happened very often. I myself wasn't so familiar with the wiki so I didn't login and reverted the spammed pages, and I thought that it seemed to be a little timewaste since the bots often were faster.

I vote for brining the wiki up only if there's a better automatic spam-protection. Reverting spammed pages many times a day is in my opinion just not worth it.

It would be nice if Francesco's documentation would be merged into the wiki. But as I said, it's only worth it if there's a more automatic spam protection. How does Wikipedia and other wiki-sites handle spam?

And by the way Flummi, sorry for not being in the chat so often... I've been there some times but you were never there so I kinda gave up. I'll go might drop-in sometimes though.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Zomis wrote:How does Wikipedia and other wiki-sites handle spam?
Well, the fact that they use MediaWiki, which as far as I know is more popular, may have something to do with it.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

Thanks for your replies.

I don't mind reverting changes once a day, as long as I know that is serves a purpose. Additionally I'd restrict the permissions on the most edited pages (one of which was FindPage containing the search form,...) to registered users only. Another possibility would be to prevent editing from korea at all ;)

So I'll bring it back online next weekend and will at least restrict editing of FindPage.
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Very well, so I'll begin adding the stuff on the wiki when it will be put online again. I am no so accustomed with wikis, but it shouldn't be that hard.

The structure of my documentation will have to change: having more separate pages will be surely better than it is now.

And, of course, anyone who feels good about helping in this task is welcome to start cutting from my docs and pasting to the wiki ;)
Francesco
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hi everybody... yesterday I was using my laptop, I turned my head to speak with one friend of mine, and when I looked at the computer again, it was off.
It shut down alone, all at once, and I wasn't able to turn it on again.
Luckily, the HD is ok (I've read it with an external 2,5 box), but now I am without PC... too bad for me... I don't think I'll be able to do anything on the wiki these days...
Francesco
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Maybe,including Flumminator's Wiki into your Dokumentation is a better way.
So you don't have to take care of spammers/bots.
And the answer is ... 42 !
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

:!: :!: But then we couldn't edit it!!! :!: :!: :!: :x :cry:
fang q

Post by fang q »

Can I have a link to the wiki, please?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Here it is, but apparently it's closed:
http://www2.semisane.de/rndwiki/

Here's some more R'n'D docs on that site:
http://semisane.de/rnd/rnd-doc.html

Then there's the R'n'D manual by Francesco:
http://artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/manual/

Hope that helps!
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

I'd be happy to help after my exams are over. I've been doing some Wikipedia editing recently.

Aaarrggghhh... damn uni exams! They're killing me! My last exam is next Monday, but today's one has thrown me right off. And this is an exam I CANNOT fail.