No speed delay for maze runner and maze hunter style

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

richard

No speed delay for maze runner and maze hunter style

Post by richard »

There is a problem by maze runner and maze hunter styles.
You can´t set a move delay !

Maybe you have forgot that, or couldn´t insert that, for some special reasons. But maybe you could, Holger, fix that ??? :D
Alan

Post by Alan »

Yep, this is needed.

With the current mazehunter you can easily evade it by simply moving in diagonals...... it can't catch up!
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Alan wrote:With the current mazehunter you can easily evade it by simply moving in diagonals...... it can't catch up!
True, but in an actual maze there aren't very many places where you can move in a diagonal.
richard

Post by richard »

Well, I use maze hunter for example to hunt the player effective ! And if the CE has to move fast (and not normal) it looks a bit weird. So a normal moving, player hunting CE would be perfect.

And I don´t make any mazes, they aren´t that good. Well... are they ?

Anyways Alan is completely right ! That is also my problem I am currently having ! :wink:
Alan

Post by Alan »

True, but in an actual maze there aren't very many places where you can move in a diagonal.
I suppose so..... after all it is called the "maze hunter".
And I don´t make any mazes, they aren´t that good. Well... are they ?
I'm also not a big fan of maze levels.
And as Richard says (and I agree), if the MH didn't stop on every turn then it would be perfect.

But I can imagine Holger left it out for a reason.. Mayby this is the fastest it goes because it's doing lots of checking?

You can tell I'm working with the MH at the moment can't you? :wink:
richard

Post by richard »

Hm well, I think too that Holger has made that extra so. But maybe he can fix this with more time.

Cause somehow it´s like this:

very slow: 32
slow: 16
normal: 8
fast: 4
very fast: 2
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:But I can imagine Holger left it out for a reason.. Mayby this is the fastest it goes because it's doing lots of checking?
I've also thought it was because of that, but I'm honestly not sure. With today's computer speeds and algorithms, it mustn't take so long...
With the A* algorithm, the EXACT way to the player (every step) could be calculated within 10ms on a 64*64 level I guess. Unfortunately, this specific algorithm requires some extra memory..
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Argh. This is plain and simply a bug.

Some may remember the experimental "maze runner" element in some pre-release version (which was removed later again) -- the CE functionality was directly taken from that element. Unfortunately, as this was not a CE, it had a fixed move delay value, and I just forgot to extend this to use the usual configurable CE move delay value. :-(

I've just fixed that bug, and ensured that previous (old) levels stay unaffected by this change (and still use the fixed value instead, even if the config value was set to zero or any other value).