Explosion content

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Explosion content

Post by Zomis »

Set this as explosion content for a CE:

(Do NOT check "can explode" and "by fire". But leave it to "3x3")

Place a burning dynamite next to the CE on a level

Start the level, wait for the dynamite to explode

Now why doesn't the whole 3x3 content show up, since it's set to 3x3 content? Why does only appear?

Checking "can explode" and "by fire" works, but shouldn't it work anyway since it's set to 3x3 content?
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I'm not sure that this is exactly a bug...

When something is blown up, why should it have a right to create elements around it? (unless the element itself explodes, too?) :|
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I think that if the element is not set to "can explode", it should leave no sort of content even if it gets blown up. I would have expected an empty tile instead of that normal wall...
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:I think that if the element is not set to "can explode", it should leave no sort of content even if it gets blown up. I would have expected an empty tile instead of that normal wall...
Then what difference does the content setting and/or the explosion size setting do in that case?
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Apart that a property page is generally fulfilled by unused options/tiles, I add that the content box can be used by a changepage, and I add also that it would be pretty bad if you could get something out from a CE when you're not supposed to.

For example, imagine a CE that represents a very sensible device like a weapon transporter. In the real life, it could be built so that it gets completely destroyed if someone tries to open it using the "brute force" of an explosion: it would be made so that it could be opened only via a specific radio message - and incidentally, it could explode when activated, so that an eventual enemy, standing by, gets killed, and then the "disclosed weapon" would be ready to be picked up.

Of course, this is just my interpretation. I think that Holger has implemented it in this way to allow making the "wall with gem" style of elements in a simple way (no changepages). It has a content, it can be disclosed by an explosion. Quite straight - by the way, I agree with this passage. But I'd prefer the other way round: it has a content, it gets disclosed only if it is set to "can explode" and "by fire". If it is not set to be able to explode, it would simply get destroyed (if not indestructible, of course).

Well, all in all it doesn't make a big difference. If you know how to set a couple of CEs, you can work out the "weapon carrier" without the need to change this particular RnD behaviour, which could even break a lot of stuff. Just wondering about what I'd have expected by such a setting ;)
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco