Delayed reaction in Emerald Mine Club

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Chojin

Delayed reaction in Emerald Mine Club

Post by Chojin »

Hello there,

I just installed Rocks'n'Diamonds on my mother's (Age 59) new laptop.

When I started testing I saw that there is a delay in reacting to cursor keys or joystick. Investigating some more I realized that this only happens when playing one of the thousands of levels of Emerald Mine Club. The Tutorials are fine, Classic Original Games too.

I also tried Override Level Graphics/Sounds, which didn't change anything.. Tried different resolutions..

First I blamed the notebook (amd64 turion mobile with 1.7ghz and geforce go 7300), but then I tried it on my desktop (amd xp barton with 2.15ghz with geforce 6800) and had the same results.

I am wondering... is that delay intended? Has that something to do with the new native engine implemented in 3.2.0? Did I just mess something up?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I am wondering... is that delay intended? Has that something to do with
> the new native engine implemented in 3.2.0? Did I just mess something up?

Don't worry, everything's fine -- this is an exact emulation of the original behaviour and timing of the Amiga game "Emerald Mine". In this game, every object can only move every eight frames, which is the reason for feeling the delay (especially because there is no delay in the R'n'D game engine).

Just try to play an Emerald Mine Club level from within the level editor after changing the game engine from "Emerald Mine" to "Rocks'n'Diamonds" (which may prevent the level from being solvable) -- you will immediately feel the difference.

Such inconsistencies are the price for a multi-engine game, I'm afraid... :-/
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

By the way, welcome to the Rocks'n'Diamonds Forum, Chojin! :)
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I believe this is because Emerald Mine uses synchronos movement, while the RND engine uses a synchronos. The new native Emerald Mine engine in RND 3.2.0 was meant to be 99.9% accurate to the original Emerald Mine. So I think that's why this happens, and yes - it is intended behaviour.
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

Ahhh, good! Thanks for the fast replies and the warm welcome :D

Before testing it on my desktop, i was almost about to return that notebook, because there are only a few reaons for it... mainly to run Rocks'n'Diamonds ;) My mother has been playing Rock's'Diamonds for years and once in while I do enjoy a round of the nice tricky levels myself (Snake Bite was pretty cool) :)

Oh, btw, is there a release-mailinglist or something like that to be informed about new versions?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> is there a release-mailinglist or something like that to be informed about
> new versions?

Unfortunately not (although this was planned once), so for now you should have a look at the "News" section of the R'n'D web site every now and then.

But you're right: Such a low-traffic, new-releases-only newsletter would probably be a nice thing (and very easy to maintain) -- I think I should add something like that soon! :-)