Who is "McDuffin"?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Who is "McDuffin"?

Post by Zomis »

In the source code files of RND, it says "Rocks'n'Diamonds -- McDuffin Strikes Back!".
So who is McDuffin? I thought the yellow guy walking around was called Rockford?
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

If I guess right, McDuffin is Holger itself.
And the answer is ... 42 !
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> If I guess right, McDuffin is Holger itself.

Interesting guess ;-), but wrong. (I usually do not wear funny hats... ;-) )

It's just a (very old) working title of Rocks'n'Diamonds. The working title of Mirror Magic is "Mirror Magic -- McDuffin's Revenge" (as you can see at the same place in the source files of MM). It has something to do with Mirror Magic being released under the name "Mindbender" without asking the author, and removing any reference to the author from the texts and graphics of the game when it was released commercially in the eighties. (Well, at least they paid me the money... ;-) )

"And who is that funny yellow guy then?" -- Good question. I'm not sure if it is Rockford (probably not, as the name "Rockford" is a registered trademark of F.S.S., and F.S.S. apparently does not like using their trademarks in Freeware games very much ;-) ). I'm also not sure if it's McDuffin himself. (Look at him in Mirror Magic -- why should he clone himself three times and start wearing these new clothes in yellow, red, green and blue, replacing the magician's hat with a base cap? ;-) ).

So it must be somebody else then... :-)

(BTW: I always wanted to replace the player graphics by some better ones, but I never found some which fit into the classic graphics the way I liked it... :-| )
Rockford4ever

Post by Rockford4ever »

Well, I knew McDuffin came in Mirror Magic, but I did'nt knew why he was in the source code of R'n'D... Anyway, Holger, are you still planning on updating Mirror Magic? Maybe you could make somthing like CE's in Mirror Magic ;)
But, you might be too busy with R'n'D now to start working on Mirror Magic.
Current project:
Nope.
James

Post by James »

Yes, that would be nice ... :D
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> are you still planning on updating Mirror Magic?

At the moment, no. I don't get much feedback on Mirror Magic when compared to R'n'D, so I think that people would like me more to work on R'n'D rather than on MM.

> Maybe you could make somthing like CE's in Mirror Magic

Probably possible, yes. I more though of integrating MM into R'n'D, but this would be a bit hard, I think. But it's not impossible -- have a look at "Sapphire Yours"! It uses both BD/EM/SP style elements and also laser beams that are reflected around! So it's possible and maybe also a cool thing to do. :-)

> But, you might be too busy with R'n'D now to start working on Mirror Magic.

Yep, currently there are more interesting things to do on R'n'D than on MM...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

:!: I don't really know how could I have missed this one: Mirror Magic. You don't publicise it so much, don't you, Holger? Well, I am downloading it: I love that kind of games... merging it into RnD would be far too cool 8)
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I don't really know how could I have missed this one: Mirror Magic. You
> don't publicise it so much, don't you, Holger?

Well, not more or less than R'n'D, in fact. It's just that I (nearly) never got any player created levels for MM, and nobody has ever asked for a forum (which is the reason why the R'n'D forum exists), so there's not much news about MM the last years. But from time to time I get mail from people who like it. And for MM I can guarantee that both level sets are 100% solvable!

> Well, I am downloading it: I love that kind of games... merging it into RnD
> would be far too cool

Yes... Especially when also adding these laser reflecting interactions with classic BD/EM/SP elements, like in Sapphire Yours. That was the thing I always liked best about this game! :-)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

What is "Sapphire Yours"? A game? A RnD levelset? A MM levelset?
RAP

Post by RAP »

Well, Sapphire Yours is really a shareware game that had different levels and
items instead of RnD... (Expect for the original game of Emerald Mine)

Heres the offical site of the game:
http://members.aon.at/sapphire/

BTW: When I say this game is shareware, it means the game is timed, so you
better use some time with the game and JUE's levels are there! :D
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yep, Ryan is right -- it's also an EM clone, just like R'n'D!

And yes, it also contains levels and artwork from Jue, so I would say it's worth trying. :-)

Although it seems to be not actively developed anymore, it has some nice concepts R'n'D does not have. The coolest thing by all means is IMHO the ability to play recorded tapes BACKWARDS. Wonder how they did that... :-O