Step puzzles

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Darkon

Step puzzles

Post by Darkon »

Ok im really an idiot for being up so late in the first place but I just felt the urge to finish this...

Levels
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/info.php?f=494

Tapes are now in the same pack as the levels

As stated by Francesco below, these levels require the latest pre-release of Rocks and Diamonds to run correctally.

As stated by Holger somewhere, using the pre-release should be perfectally safe and can even help squish bugs in the software.
(resulting in the next official release!)

Basically its 15 levels in which you have to think carefully to change red buttons to green, or/and step on all of the blue pannels in order to open the exit.

Levels are of varying difficulty.
It features "some" new graphics and sounds

Player has been slowed down for all the levels to help prevent mistakes.
Levels with red and green switches have step limits so try and think of the shortest route you could potentially take.

All levels (excluding one) are small enough for you to see the entire level.

Enjoy, and feel free to leave comments ;-)
Last edited by Darkon on Thu May 25, 2006 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hi Darkon,
I've just downloaded your levels, it's a nice set of puzzles! Some of them are really tricky, I can't find a way to solve them... but in effect I am not so good with puzzles... anyway.

Just one thing to point out, please correct me if I'm wrong: to play these levels you have to use the latest pre release (RnD 3.2.0-7) - older versions will not "create" the player, so the levels result to be unplayable.

All in all a good new for an almost workfree sunday morning ;)
Last edited by Francesco on Sun May 14, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Bah sorry, thats what happens when you upload a levelset at 3:00 AM.

The number after the level name on some levels is how many steps I myself have completed the level in.
Daniel H.

Re: Step puzzles

Post by Daniel H. »

Hmm, very interesting...

The graphics and sounds are good. The music adds a nice touch to it! :)
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Certainly a very nice set of levels! Haven't played all of them yet, but some are quite tricky! :-)

BTW: I've noticed that your levels were created using the latest pre-release version. They ran fine with my current working version, but I've made some last changes to the file format, especially changing the newly added "CONF" level file chunk, which will be no longer recognised in the final version 3.2.0 because of some internal changes. The impact on your set (as far as I have seen) is only that the player has normal speed again, which should be easy to fix.

To give all those who created levels with pre-release versions enough time to fix them for the final 3.2.0, I think I should release one last (again ;-) ) pre-release version of 3.2.0. The last changes are not massive, but will indeed break some 3.2.0-7 levels due to the changes to the level file format. (All other levels created with version 3.1.2 and earlier will not be affected, and also not most levels created with pre-release versions before 3.2.0-5.)

I decided to add these changes to 3.2.0, because the new, enhanced level file format is much more flexible now, which will make it a lot faster and easier to add CE additions, new options, compatibility switches and things like that (if we will be able find enough free space on the R'n'D screen, that is ;-) ).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I think I should release one last (again ;-) ) pre-release version of 3.2.0.

OK, 3.2.0-8 is packaged and released. See the Announcements and have fun testing... :)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Fixed it now so the speed should now be correct, oh and Holger, would it be possible for normal element settings to save alongside the custom element template? Its a little fustrating going through each and every level to change the players speed... especially when it involves more than one player on 20+ levels...