Losing the connection to the forum

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

HerzAusGold

Losing the connection to the forum

Post by HerzAusGold »

A forum bug?
Umpf, if i use my WLAN writing a post and loose the connection.
I already see my name as logged in. But if I press submit i am guest.
What can I do to check this?
And the answer is ... 42 !
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Urgs... Sounds strange...

Sorry, no real idea on that one; the only thing I know is that phpBB uses cookies to keep the login/logout state (at least as far as I know).

Does it make a difference to check the checkbox "always log on" on the login mask? (If you don't already use this, I mean...)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Yep, definetely sounds like a cookie problem.
I recommend clearing your cookies and logging in to the forum again, that could solve it.
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

I noticed that the cookie-behaviour changed somewhen:

Before you could have the cookie set on different machines, but now setting a cookie on a second machine automatically invalidates all others. Maybe that's the problem you have.
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
HerzAusGold

HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Is there any change to get a message before submit a post.
Like: You are user <xyz> submit ? yes no
xyz is the user submit with generation (may be "guest" and not logged in user)
I have no idea how i should handle else connection breaks...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Is there any change to get a message before submit a post.

Umm... Probably not. (I don't want to hack phpBB any further; it's hard enough to transfer my level sketch patches from version to version, which especially makes security updates more work than usual...)

But you can do the following to solve your problem: Before pressing the "Submit" button, open another tab in your browser with the forum main page (by clicking on the phpBB logo at the top left of the submit page with then middle mouse button, for example, so it's really quick and easy), and look if it says "Log in" or "Log out [<your user name>]". If you're logged out, simply log in before you submit. As phpBB uses cookies, this should work.

BTW: No idea why you have these problems -- I never had such trouble.

BTW2: Which browser are you using? Maybe there's something wrong with cookie handling (could also be a configuration problem that could be solved on the preferences dialog of your browser...)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Flumminator wrote:Before you could have the cookie set on different machines, but now setting a cookie on a second machine automatically invalidates all others. Maybe that's the problem you have.
I've never had that problem. I have cookies on 2-3 machines, all of them work perfectly usually. However, sometimes there's a problem. Then it's just to clear a machine's cookies and continue.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I also access the forum from two different machines, and usually have no problems. The only problem that happens to me from time to time is that new posts are already marked as "read", so I sometimes miss them (and find them later by chance),,,
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I also use the forum on different machines, with the auto-login, and it works perfectly.

I know that it's out of topic (I swear that it's the first and last time I'll do something like this), but there is something new in the "Simplified version for children" thread, in the "New Ideas" section. I hope that someone could help me with that, since the "Sokoban mode" would be a good New Years' present for the little player. :wink:
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:I also access the forum from two different machines, and usually have no problems. The only problem that happens to me from time to time is that new posts are already marked as "read", so I sometimes miss them (and find them later by chance),,,
Note that if you log in and don't read all posts. Next time you log in they will be considered read, even though you actually didn't click on them and read them last time.
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

using Opera8.5 with all cookies enabled.
cause' is may be switching between forum and babelfish or dict.leo.org
If I write first in an editor what i want to post this never happen.

*Edit*
I hear a new phpBB version is out-fixing some problems-.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

HerzAusGold wrote:I hear a new phpBB version is out-fixing some problems-.
That doesn't suprise me much...
Let's see... 2.0.19 released, a couple of months ago when I checked it was 2.0.15 or so...
And there's no indicator on the forum showing which version is running. (And I think that's good actually).

By the way, just realized that this thread was in the wrong section.
"Bug reports" is only for RND bugs, not for forum "bugs".