Limited Rocks and Diamonds port for PPC and PalmOS

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

DiPal

Limited Rocks and Diamonds port for PPC and PalmOS

Post by DiPal »

Well, now I can say, that my limited port of Rocks and Diamonds (no any custom things and not good sound engine) can be run on color ARM PocketPC (integrated ZIP support for levels, sounds and graphics) and color and greyscale device with at least Palm OS 3.5.
For example, on Dell AXIM X30Mid PPC with soft-scrolling CPU load about 30% 312MHz (GDI drawing) and memory need is about 1Mb. Tapes for 60*30 levels loads at about 40X speed.
PalmOS port has greyscale and color low-res versions and can play Supaplex levels without soft-scrolling on 16MHz CPU at 70%-100% of original Supaplex speed.
Only some days ago I finally found one terrible error I made in code about a year ago. And now I can launch alpha versions. What should I do for this?
Alan

Post by Alan »

Cool, I have only just bought a zire pda (with specs higher than my 1st PC).

You should upload it somewhere and I'll test it out.
DiPal

Post by DiPal »

Post by Guest »

I think it would be interesting if you also released an iPod port.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

In the last days, I have thought about the possibility of a Mophun port of R'n'D (despite the fact that I have no free time at all at the moment ;-) ), because I have just bought an Archos Gmini 400 (MP3/MPEG4 player with Mophun game engine). I think it could be possible using DiPal's great Palm port of R'n'D!

As there are also mobile phones with Mophun game engine, this way there would be a version of R'n'D for mobile phones available, which would be great! :-)

Post by Guest »

I just tried it, and although it's playable...
There needs to be a better way to select levelsets.
With a lot of levelsets, it overflows.
Envelopes cause graphics glitches.
The debug dialog is quite annoying. Maybe change it to a debug status bar on the bottom of the screen?
DiPal

Post by DiPal »

I just tried it, and although it's playable...
Which device? Which speed?(FPS at the center of status bar)

10 is limitation (on PPC I can do more if you want).

PalmOS should work fine, PPC should work bad (I know this bug).

The debug dialog is quite annoying. Maybe change it to a debug status bar on the bottom of the screen?
Which text on debug message? Or you mean "level changed", "levelset changed"?

Post by Guest »

DiPal wrote:I just tried it, and although it's playable...
Which device? Which speed?(FPS at the center of status bar)

10 is limitation (on PPC I can do more if you want).

PalmOS should work fine, PPC should work bad (I know this bug).

Which text on debug message? Or you mean "level changed", "levelset changed"?
It's a 624MHz Dell Axim X30h. FPS is about 49.
And yes, I mean the "level changed", "levelset changed" dialogs.
DiPal

Post by DiPal »

Update:(http://paltch.at.tut.by/)
Old PalmOS version should be uninstalled before installing new;
PocketPC version levelsets limitation is 50 now;
No more debug messages on changing levels and levelsets on PPC;
Envelopes work fine on PPC.

Holger
Some days ago I just finished splitting code on 2 parts: game engine device/OS independent and system functions for device/OS. So porting for any device with C compiler should include 40 functions to be written (50-60kb of code) :wink:
I found interesting information for Mophun system:
The mophun™ SDK is a non-proprietary completely free toolset built with GNU tools using open standards. It was built by game developers for game developers. :(
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Some days ago I just finished splitting code on 2 parts: game engine
> device/OS independent and system functions for device/OS. So porting
> for any device with C compiler should include 40 functions to be written
> (50-60kb of code)

That's really great! (And exactly the way I had started this!)

So porting R'n'D to the Mophun engine (for example) should be much easier now thanks to your work!

> I found interesting information for Mophun system:
[...]

Yes, this sounds good! (Why the ":-(" smiley then?) The only problem with the Mophun engine I see could be the licensing thing -- Mophun games must be licensed for the specific device they should run on. So far I was unable to find out if it is possible to release "unlicensed" versions of a game (which should technically be possible, as it is possible to release "demo versions" which run without licensing to the target device)...
DiPal

Post by DiPal »

Update:(http://paltch.at.tut.by/)
No more "EL_PLAYER_IS_LEAVING overflow" bug;
On Pocket PC sound on/off is working now;
No more Axim X30 button lag (I think).

Holger
Just write a word when you will ready for Mophun and I will send you last source code.

Post by Guest »

im loving you're pocket pc port of rondi but the only problem im having is not being able to punch so i need a way to config keys im using a rx3715 ipaq. Thaks for the port it is really great to pass time.
DiPal

Post by DiPal »

rx3715 owner
Try last update.
In menu select <Tools>/<Show Input>.
Then in the centre of the status bar you can see appropriate action for pressed button (<S>nap, <L>eft, <U>p, <D>own, <R>ignt, <F>ire). If you can find action without appropriate button tell me.

Post by Guest »

yeah i found a way to snap but it takes me 4 buttons to do it. i need to turn on the snap mode with clicking 2 buttons at once and then press the other 2 buttons to actually get to snap then a direction its very interesting. It toggles the snap mode then i need to press one of the buttons to untoggle the snap mode so its pretty much unusable and complicated to explain. i could draw a picture and explain it better if ya wish.

Post by Guest »

ok checked again my button 1 and 2 together turn on <s> then button 1 and 4 together turns on <f> then button 2 turns off <s> again.