Level Conditions page

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Darkon

Level Conditions page

Post by Darkon »

this was discussed before, however as a page for a custom element.
I thought to myself...

If there was an option for a certain condition to kill the player/exit the level, where would it be stored?

Then i figured a good place would be in the level settings, could be a "conditions" tab, which is similar to custom elements however enables various level based effects such as conditions for the level ending with a pass, or a fail, a condition to kill the player.

so for example

if "ce1" "touches" "ce2" "level pass"

Which would make so if a CE element touched another CE, the level would finish with a pass status so you would have cleared that level

Of course, where the quotes are would allow different options, such as "touches" could be changed to "collides with"

Any thoughts or opinions on this?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

There are two disadvantages of putting it onto the "level settings" page:
- the usual "change page" conditions would have to be replicated there
- you would need some way to create a list of such conditions there

(Or I may have misunderstood you...)

But I think this (generally very useful) suggestion is already (mostly) solved -- there will be an additional "action" setting on each CE change page soon (probably in 3.2.0), which is where it belongs to (in my opinion), because it is related to CE change conditions and CE changes.

I plan adding something like this for each CE change page:

[x] when CE changes, do the following: <select-box> [<number input>]

The <select-box> could contain the following options (which I call "change actions" here), which might be accompanied by a number, if needed:

- successfully exit the level
- kill the player who triggered that change
- kill the player number <#>
- add <#> emeralds
- remove <#> emeralds
- add key number <#>
- remove key number <#>
- add <#> seconds/steps
- remove <#> seconds/steps

Any other useful "change actions"?
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Display message "envelope id"?

would be useful to tell a player if an action happened, such as "you have roughly 30 seconds to reach the door, fail to reach the door and you will need to trigger this switch again"

hm... "remove collected object "id""

so if you put -1, it would remove x ammount of all of the collected objects, 1 would mean it would remove x ammount of the first object picked up

Maybe remove the various dyna bomb effects, so "dynablast - 1" would minus the blastsize by 1
"dynablast = 1" would make the blastsize 1

And not to mention the speed pill attributes,

playerspeed very slow, slow, fast, veryfast, even faster

you said yourself you hoped all elements could eventually be replicated via custom elements
-Darkon

Post by -Darkon »

Or if its possible, the option for the player speed to be increased or decreased aswell as the ability to make it a set value.

Also, add # score, remove # score

Im sure someone can find a use for that

Hm, im curious, will it be possible to set a specific page for the action?
or will it act on all changes on the CE?

*at work so never logged on*
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Some more good "change actions", yes...

> you said yourself you hoped all elements could eventually be replicated
> via custom elements

That's right -- I would consider the CE definitions "complete" if all existing "normal" (non-CE) elements could be simulated using CEs. But this state will most probably never reached, as there are some very special elements that would be hard to simulate (and CE definitions should be as generic as possible, without some of these "dirty special behaviours").

> Hm, im curious, will it be possible to set a specific page for the action?
> or will it act on all changes on the CE?

No, this setting is definitely meant to be a page specific action.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

I see what you mean, it would be better off doing it as a special page on CE's

With that display message i mentioned, it would be possible to make more story involved levels ;-)

so you could "talk" to someone, and they tell you where to go, that sort of thing

Problem now is, theres only 4 envelopes available, i wonder, would it be possible to assign more envelope ID's via an external TXT file? so the game would read this TXT file, and bring it into game, of course the file would need some form of special formatting, so //#1 20 20 would make it envelope ID 1 with a box size of 20, 20

Now i think im getting a little carried away, ill stop now :-p

Anyhow, for the next release, what will be included?
Im still really looking forward to the Emerald Mines content ^^
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> With that display message i mentioned, it would be possible to make
> more story involved levels

Yeah, right...

> so you could "talk" to someone, and they tell you where to go, that sort
> of thing

Cool idea! And if I remember right, it should already be possible to use a "speaking bubble" as the envelope's background image, so nice effects could be added, too! :-)

> Problem now is, theres only 4 envelopes available, i wonder, would it be
> possible to assign more envelope ID's via an external TXT file? so the
> game would read this TXT file, and bring it into game, of course the file
> would need some form of special formatting, so //#1 20 20 would make
> it envelope ID 1 with a box size of 20, 20
>
> Now i think im getting a little carried away, ill stop now :-p

;-)

Well, the main problem is, that a level file should be one single file (even when using templates, you can save it to a single file), which would not be the case anymore when using envelope text files. (Although it would have the advantage of being able to localize the texts later, when R'n'D should support localization one day...)

> Anyhow, for the next release, what will be included?

For 3.1.1, there are mainly bug fixes and no stunning new features.
(Although the EMC support will probably be already active, but not officially announced nor supported in the level editor. That means, you will be able to load and play native EM/EMC levels if you know how to prepare them. (Which comes down to the usual addition of a "levelinfo.conf" file to the EM/EMC level directory, but without the need to convert or rename any level files.)

> Im still really looking forward to the Emerald Mines content ^^

Which will be in 3.1.1 as described. :-)

3.2.0 will then mainly differ from 3.1.1 in that it officially supports EM/EMC levels and (hopefully) perfectly integrates them into the level editor (which also means that you can add EMC elements to R'n'D levels which are currently not supported in R'n'D levels, like the "magic ball" or the "android" -- this will require adding them to the R'n'D engine, which will, as always, require additional time, which I'm currently very short of).

BTW: My company has sent me to Hamburg for a few weeks, where I work until late at night (and do not carry my notebook to the hotel), so work on R'n'D is currently suspended for that time. :-( Hope to continue with it in August, and won't fix any more bugs (there are still some left I wanted to fix before the release), but will release the current state as 3.1.1 right away, because it's the base for the long-awaited Contributions package (and something else you will see then)...
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:Well, the main problem is, that a level file should be one single file (even when using templates, you can save it to a single file), which would not be the case anymore when using envelope text files. (Although it would have the advantage of being able to localize the texts later, when R'n'D should support localization one day...)
Let's add a TXT1 chunk then ;) or using the same chunk as for the envelopes, but if I remember correctly the id in that chunk is a game-element id, meaning that it would then use 1 element for each TXT-"file". So a TXT1-chunk would probably be the best, and then of course some GUI in the game...;)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Let's add a TXT1 chunk then
> or using the same chunk as for the envelopes, but if I remember correctly
> the id in that chunk is a game-element id, meaning that it would then use 1
> element for each TXT-"file". So a TXT1-chunk would probably be the best,
> and then of course some GUI in the game...

Not sure if I understand that right -- do you mean using such a thing for CEs (for some sort of "generic envelopes")?

Else it sounds more or less like what we currently have (with a limitation to four envelopes). I could add some more envelope elements, but I suspect that the cases are rare where you would really need more that four (or or maybe eight) envelopes in one level...
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:> Let's add a TXT1 chunk then
> or using the same chunk as for the envelopes, but if I remember correctly
> the id in that chunk is a game-element id, meaning that it would then use 1
> element for each TXT-"file". So a TXT1-chunk would probably be the best,
> and then of course some GUI in the game...

Not sure if I understand that right -- do you mean using such a thing for CEs (for some sort of "generic envelopes")?

Else it sounds more or less like what we currently have (with a limitation to four envelopes). I could add some more envelope elements, but I suspect that the cases are rare where you would really need more that four (or or maybe eight) envelopes in one level...
No, not TXT1-chunks for CEs. I mean to use these chunks for the "level conditions" thing triggering a display of a textmessage, where this textmessage instead of being inside a .txt file is put in the chunk.

Yes, it is more or less like what we have. With the exception of only for envelopes. With the TXT1-chunks, there could be almost unlimited (or maybe I should give you the correct number, 255, 65535, 2147483647 or 4294967295 texts).
Maybe also the current envelope-chunks could be changed into text-chunks, where the first envelope would be TXT1-chunk #1, 2nd is TXT1-chunk #2, and so on. This would be good since then also the original envelope-messages can be displayed without having to copy the text.

Hope that clears things up and not messes them up :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Ah, now I understand... :-)