pre-3.2.0-rc2

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Holger
Site Admin

pre-3.2.0-rc2

Post by Holger »

Here's a new thread to report bugs in the new release candidate 2.

If you find any bugs (or bugs that you already reported for rc0/rc1 that are still there), please add your bug report to this thread.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

bug #1: when you drop a rock on a bomb, you see two rocks instead of one.
bug #2: a rock which falls into quicksand is cut above and pasted beneath the quicksand. (This bug was reported earlier, so it's probably on your bug list already.)

about the skip function: it's great! But the right arrow key for skipping is irritating I think. You use the right arrow button to go to the last available level in the handicap mode. So it's very irritating when you move to the last level and then have to click 'no' to avoid the level is skipped. So it would be better - in my opinion - to have a button beside the arrow button in the main menu to skip the level (which can also be activated by pressing 's' or so).
And it would also be nice if the skipped levels would be marked as skipped levels. When the indication system will be built in (you said it was on your TODO-list), a levelset is not finished UNTIL the skipped levels are solved, too. Like Supaplex, you know. And that the skipped levels would be put in a 'skipped level list' or so.

*EDIT

bug #3: 'improved fallback handling when configured artwork is not available'. But when I switch from BD2K3 to Boulder Dash Dream, you still see the BD2K3 wall in the panel when you press [ESC] in the game.
And two music files are played in the highscore screen: the classic music and the BDD music.
This does not happen when BDD is loaded at the game startup.

*EDIT

bug #4: the 'unknown level class' levels now have a yellow font graphic instead of a blue graphic in the menu. Is that intended or is it a bug?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
bojster

Post by bojster »

Thanks for another release, I missed it much. ;-)
Will the full 3.2.0 release come with the Contributions 2004 pack? ;-P

Anyway, I wouldn't say the artwork thing is fixed. It looks more like it was broken: Last time (before I compiled 3.2.0-2) I was playtesting my levels, which use original Supaplex levels, and then I quit. When I turned on RnD 3.2.0 after that, my levels had totally different gfx set - the one that belongs to a levelset I played before that (SNB). When I switched to classib Supaplex levels, the artwork stayed the same and I can't get rid of it. Not that it's not nice, but it's jusr wrong. It's just a first-view impression, I haven't tested the EM levels yet, I'll update the report after that.

[edit]
Martijn: The skipping feature was discussed in the other thread and we agreed on the current solution. If you want to 'go to the first unsolved level with handicap on', just use RMB - it will go there much faster (10 levels a time), not skipping any levels and not asking you if you wish to do so.

[edit2]
The problem with the artwork was that I had SNB gfx & msx set as default (I forgot to change it after I - with no luck - tried to hear both sfx and msx in SNB...), *but* I had 'override level artwork' set to in all 3 options... so it's still not good, but when I changed the default artwork to 'classic', it restored the proper handling (I guess). It's probably because most sets don't have any artwork assigned to them and they just use the default one. Maybe classic levelsets should have 'classic' artwork assigned?
Last edited by bojster on Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Post by Alan »

And two music files are played in the highscore screen: the classic music and the BDD music.
This does not happen when BDD is loaded at the game startup.
Not really a bug (I think), there is a WAV for the original scores music which is possibly playing over your MP3 tune, check out:

menu.hall_of_fame: (in the soundsinfo.conf)
and
background.SCORES: (in the musicinfo.conf)

I think this should be kept in though because you could do some interesting music :wink:
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

- rockford does still not go INTO the exit but waits in front of it when the level is finished. Therefore you don't hear the sound of closing doors, either.
- with normal levels, when I save my game and load again, the screen jumps to the saving position after it's loaded. with the EM engine levels, the screen stays at the beginning of the level UNTIL I press enter (or was it space?).
- I see you removed the four squares the EM levels were divided in. thank you! but now the EM levels seem to have a bit more bumpy scrolling. especially at the place of the square borders, I think. not disturbing of course, I just report every strange thing I see.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> bug #1: when you drop a rock on a bomb, you see two rocks instead of
> one.
> bug #2: a rock which falls into quicksand is cut above and pasted
> beneath the quicksand. (This bug was reported earlier, so it's probably
> on your bug list already.)

I suppose these two bugs are referring to the EM engine, right?

> And it would also be nice if the skipped levels would be marked as
> skipped levels.

These features -- marking solved, played and skipped levels -- will come in a future release, yes.

> bug #3: 'improved fallback handling when configured artwork is not
> available'. But when I switch from BD2K3 to Boulder Dash Dream, you
> still see the BD2K3 wall in the panel when you press [ESC] in the game.

These are two different bugs. The one that is fixed now is more a misbehaviour than a bug -- it caused the game to stop with an error message when a configured artwork could not be found.

The other bug, which you mention above, happens when switching from one custom artwork to another one which does not completely override the first one. This bug is still pending, and will hopefully be fixed soon.

> And two music files are played in the highscore screen: the classic music
> and the BDD music.

These are not two music files, but a music file and a (loop) sound file. What you have observed is the same bug as mentioned above. Independently from fixing it, the two options of music and sound can be used for certain effects, as already stated by Alan.

> - rockford does still not go INTO the exit but waits in front of it when the
> level is finished. Therefore you don't hear the sound of closing doors,
> either.

I'll check this. It's also not perfect in the existing R'n'D engine yet...

> - I see you removed the four squares the EM levels were divided in. thank
> you! but now the EM levels seem to have a bit more bumpy scrolling.
> especially at the place of the square borders, I think. not disturbing of
> course,

Hmm, I think I haven't changed anything there yet...

> I just report every strange thing I see.

Yep, and that's exactly what I want. :-)
(BTW: Always try to check which engine is used when reporting engine bugs, please.)
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Elaborating on bug #1 above, it seems like any time a bomb impacts in the EM engine, a rock is drawn over it as if it were falling into that space (with the bomb still there) before it explodes.

Still in the EM engine, the amoeba drops no longer have that stuttering effect when falling, but they still make rock noises when they become new ameoba.

Also, the EM engine doesn't seem to recognize "normal ameoba" at all, instead converting it to dripping ameoba. Did the original EM have "normal ameoba"? If it didn't, I guess it should probably be moved to the more section.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Holger wrote: > - I see you removed the four squares the EM levels were divided in. thank
> you! but now the EM levels seem to have a bit more bumpy scrolling.
> especially at the place of the square borders, I think. not disturbing of
> course,

Hmm, I think I haven't changed anything there yet...
Oops! A few days ago I formatted my PC and I have a much faster harddisk since a not so long time. That might be the reason that I thought it was fixed already... so that means it will even run smoother than now when you will have fixed it!

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Oops! A few days ago I formatted my PC and I have a much faster
> harddisk since a not so long time. That might be the reason that I thought
> it was fixed already...

Hmm, the speed of your harddisk should have no effect on scrolling... :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> > bug #1: when you drop a rock on a bomb, you see two rocks instead of
> > one.

> Elaborating on bug #1 above, it seems like any time a bomb impacts in
> the EM engine, a rock is drawn over it as if it were falling into that space
> (with the bomb still there) before it explodes.

Thanks -- no idea how I could have missed this one. Fixed!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> bug #4: the 'unknown level class' levels now have a yellow font graphic
> instead of a blue graphic in the menu. Is that intended or is it a bug?

Yes, I have modified something there. No, this is not intended.

What is the "sort_priority" value in the "levelinfo.conf" of the affected level sets?
bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:> Oops! A few days ago I formatted my PC and I have a much faster
> harddisk since a not so long time. That might be the reason that I thought
> it was fixed already...

Hmm, the speed of your harddisk should have no effect on scrolling... :-)
The removal of 100 spywares dwelling on it, however... ;-)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Holger wrote:Hmm, the speed of your harddisk should have no effect on scrolling... :-)
Well, some other games run much faster now, like Myst IV Revelation. Why shouldn't this be the same case as RnD?
Holger wrote:What is the "sort_priority" value in the "levelinfo.conf" of the affected level sets?
It's the examples directory, with sort_priority 800 (unknown level class).

You might wonder why I still use 'examples' as a directory, but once my website will have been released, you'll know why, because it has a great list with many examples for download. btw. the whole site is ready now but I still have some problems with the hosting. besides the good quality freeware clones and everything around the site offers at this moment, it will also provide all available freeware and shareware clones with all their levels, artwork etc. in the future. (Of course I only provide the demos there when it's a shareware clone, otherwise I will get problems due to illegal practice :) ). And besides that, I think I will also make a C64 and Amiga and Dos etc. corner to have a very very complete site. (I'm sorry for the spam.)
bojster wrote: The removal of 100 spywares dwelling on it, however... ;-)
no, it was a stupid msn virus. You might have heard of it but before it was in the news I got affected! :twisted:

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> > Hmm, the speed of your harddisk should have no effect on scrolling...
> Well, some other games run much faster now, like Myst IV Revelation.
> Why shouldn't this be the same case as RnD?

The reason is not your new harddisk, but that you have freshly installed Windows on your PC. Unfortunately (but by design), Windows systems have the nasty behaviour of turning into a pile of garbage over time (unless you don't install any software on it, of course). Additionally, you always have a good chance of adding viruses, backdoors, spam bots and trojan horses to your already plagued system (unless you don't use the Internet, of course).

(I have just re-installed my Windows 2000 box after a harddisk crash, replaced the old harddisk with an even older and slower one, and the system is faster than before, as expected. ;-) )

> > The removal of 100 spywares dwelling on it, however...
> no, it was a stupid msn virus. You might have heard of it but before it
> was in the news I got affected!

A good anti-virus software for Windows is AntiVir Personal Edition. It's free for personal use and offers daily updates over the net. I am surprised that the system does not feel any slower, although it immediately detected a test virus in a mail attachment when saving the attachment or when trying to access it on the harddisk (over GUI or command-line).

But I'm getting off-topic here, sorry!

Let's return to R'n'D and 3.2.0-rc2! :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> > What is the "sort_priority" value in the "levelinfo.conf" of the affected
> > level sets?
> It's the examples directory, with sort_priority 800 (unknown level class).

But that's a but strange -- the example levels in "levels/Examples" in 3.0.8 have a "sort_priority" of 20 and are therefore drawn blue in 3.0.8 and 3.1.0 (where they are not included anymore). Here's the list of level classes of R'n'D (3.1.0, src/libgame/setup.h):

/* sort priorities of level series (also used as level series classes) */
#define LEVELCLASS_TUTORIAL_START 10
#define LEVELCLASS_TUTORIAL_END 99
#define LEVELCLASS_CLASSICS_START 100
#define LEVELCLASS_CLASSICS_END 199
#define LEVELCLASS_CONTRIB_START 200
#define LEVELCLASS_CONTRIB_END 299
#define LEVELCLASS_PRIVATE_START 300
#define LEVELCLASS_PRIVATE_END 399
#define LEVELCLASS_BD_START 400
#define LEVELCLASS_BD_END 499
#define LEVELCLASS_EM_START 500
#define LEVELCLASS_EM_END 599
#define LEVELCLASS_SP_START 600
#define LEVELCLASS_SP_END 699
#define LEVELCLASS_DX_START 700
#define LEVELCLASS_DX_END 799

#define LEVELCLASS_UNDEFINED 999

In 3.1.1 and 3.2.0, there will be a new level class:

#define LEVELCLASS_SB_START 800
#define LEVELCLASS_SB_END 899

This is for Sokoban levels. (There will be a bunch of Sokoban levels converted for R'n'D which will be released together with the long-awaited new contribution level sets.)