The Contributons 2004 !!!!11

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

Post by Martijn »

bojster wrote:Contributions 2005 should be out by January 2006 ;-)
As for the game you mentioned, I don't know if it's the same, but I used to play a great game on Amiga, Diamond Fever, is it this one?[/url][/u]
well, to be honest, I prefer the rnd graphics. Diamond Fever does not look really cool...

I think the PC-Supaplex graphics, which you found so ugly, are much better than these...
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
bojster

Post by bojster »

Martijn wrote:well, to be honest, I prefer the rnd graphics. Diamond Fever does not look really cool...
I think the PC-Supaplex graphics, which you found so ugly, are much better than these...
WTF are you talking about? What does it have to do with our talk, what for are you comparing the gfx, do you even know the game?
It's like I told you that it's a nice weather and you would disagree and say that your wife makes a better cake...
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

calm down, please! don't feel offended! I just saw the screenshot and I thought: there are games which look better! that's all! it has nothing to do with this discussion, I know. It was just a first reaction! maybe I should not have posted that, but why should you make a problem of it? it't not meant against you or so! don't you think that rnd looks much better than those old amiga graphics, then? I will keep quiet if you are so touchy... If you aren't feeling happy, then don't work it off on me! or are you such a big amiga fan that every word against it will make you explode???

Mark

Post by Mark »

I love r&d graphics. Especially the bd2k3 set. However, there is something about old dos games that is still addictive. The lack of quality graphics is not a big problem. When you play levels where there are only diamonds and rocks and maybe a couple of other elements, it sets the mood, and makes you remember the old days when programmers still dreamed of making a game with good graphics.
The Emerald King
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

... february is close ...

of course we know, Holger, that you're hard working on the em-engine, but the contributions 2004 would be nice to play anyways :wink:
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I must have missed this post; no idea why...

> I love r&d graphics. Especially the bd2k3 set. However, there is something about old dos
> games that is still addictive. The lack of quality graphics is not a big problem. When you play

I couldn't agree more! :-)

> levels where there are only diamonds and rocks and maybe a couple of other elements, it sets
> the mood, and makes you remember the old days when programmers still dreamed of making
> a game with good graphics.

I think exactly the same; that's why I try to allow R'n'D to use modern high-quality graphics (like BD2K3) and at the same time not let it lose its nostalgic appearance! :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> ... february is close ...

Oh, yes, I know... :-o

> of course we know, Holger, that you're hard working on the em-engine, but the contributions
> 2004 would be nice to play anyways

At this very moment, I'm just compiling it and prepare it for the automated unit tests, to make sure that all levels with tapes work with the current stable and also with the upcoming new game engine (where "new" does not refer to the new EM engine, but to the stardard R'n'D engine, which also contains bugfixes and changes when compared with the current "stable" 3.1.0).

Unfortunately, these tests run for many hours on my 733 P-II (I definitely need new hardware), so it will still take some days before the new set can be released (provided that no test fails). Unfortunately (for R'n'D, I mean ;-) ), I'm away nearly the whole weekend for birthday parties... So please stand by. I will try hard to release them as soon as possible. :-)
Grunt002

Post by Grunt002 »

Happy Febuary the second! yes it's here!
Now that I think it'd be out on march, hopefully by my birthday lol :lol:

btw, nice try on the em-engine, still not 100%, but what can I say? gj!
YOU LIKE MY SIGNATURE DON'T YOU?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Happy Febuary the second! yes it's here!
> Now that I think it'd be out on march, hopefully by my birthday lol

I plan to have it released it very soon now(tm) -- unfortunately, I'm away the whole next week, but I expect to release it shortly after it (and almost for sure in February).

> btw, nice try on the em-engine, still not 100%, but what can I say? gj!

If you still find some incompatibilities to the original EM engine, please let me know before the release of R'n'D version 3.2.0! After the release, there won't be any major changes, I'm afraid...

As far as I know, it should be 99,9% compatible to the EMC engine, and very (not 100%) compatible to the original EM engine.

So, please report all incompatibilities to me, so I can fix them!
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

the end of february is coming near...

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> the end of february is coming near...

Oops! :-o

(Still a lot of broken tapes, strange artwork and apparently unsolvable levels to work on. Should I release it anyway, in it's current incomplete, unperfect state?! I would not like that very much... ;-) :-o )
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Holger wrote:(Still a lot of broken tapes, strange artwork and apparently unsolvable levels to work on. Should I release it anyway, in it's current incomplete, unperfect state?! I would not like that very much... ;-) :-o )
no, not in that case! it's better to have a perfect one which is guaranteed solvable!

by the way will these contributions also include the fixed older contributions by yoshi?

bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:(Still a lot of broken tapes, strange artwork and apparently unsolvable levels to work on. Should I release it anyway, in it's current incomplete, unperfect state?! I would not like that very much... ;-) :-o )
You could send some to the beta-testers, though. :P
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

good point, if you release it, but only make it known to the forum members, we can find those unsolvable levels and other problems and report them ;-)
Grunt002

Post by Grunt002 »

Yeah beta-testers.. that's it!
You report bugs or anything like it?
But... CEs?!? :roll:
YOU LIKE MY SIGNATURE DON'T YOU?